Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging a new fiberglass "cane" pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging a new fiberglass "cane" pole

How do you all rig a cane pole for fishing??

Luther

Post Thanks / Like

are goind to attach a reel to it or fish as cane style ?

cane style, usually run line through eye (tip) come back about 2 ft or so and tie off
    put on enough line to reach end of your pole, add hook, split shot and bobber

ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cane pole

Depends on the fish I'm going for. If it's bream, I will usually go with a #8 (small) jig. Then a small float above that, usually a porcupine quill. I keep it simple for bream. For crappie, a #4 or 6 jig, then a float/bobber that it'll hold it up. Line is around 6-8#. I used to use split shot above a hook but started using small jigs to eliminate another piece of tackle. Sometimes I will use just a hook with no weight or bobber and watch the line to determine a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention bait on the jig...usually a cricket, wiggler or grass shrimp. I have seen some old Florida Crackers fish for largemouths with a cane pole and 20# braided dacron line.

Post Thanks / Like

the later part - i once saw a man laying on platform of john boat, partner running
    trolling mtr. they were using a 8' cane pole with sometype of crankbait, or curley
    tail jig pushing it through water next to week line/reeds, bullrushes a pretty good
    speed - fishin for bass..............now that would really give you a "rush" thrill when
    a bass hit that baby..............
    For spec's, some lakes work real real good using grass shrimp, others no deal..........
    if we are spider riggin - us a 16th "ron's zip jig" dark colors, however, every lake is
    different. Make up jig on a 18" - 24" leader, on main line put 1/2 oz sinker (
    inline-barrel- pinch one #5 whatever you want) and just - again your choice of
    weight as you, with no reel, you are going to be somewhat restricted on detph.
    However, can buy set of plastic eyeslets to glue on cane or retractable pole and
    tape on reel at end. (only looking for place to spare line as holder)

Post Thanks / Like

Jigger Bobbing

Using a calcutta pole and a old cedar float with some chicken feathers and a large treble hook with 6-7 feet of 60-100 pound dacron line, bobbing the lure around reeds,catails, is real exicting when a 6 or plus bass wants to take it home for a souvenier. Even more fun at night when you reach up in a pocket and a gator grabs it.

Luther

Post Thanks / Like

holly cow, hea ha......................i can imagine the "rush" of the bass at night,
    but a gator snatching it, might have a tendency to make my britches a little on damp
    side..............at the same time as those wonderus words "game on"...............

Post Thanks / Like

That cane pole at night is called "skin bobing" Some used a piece of pork rind cut to look like frogs legs. Knew a man that did it by hisself with an electric motor strapped to his knee to steer with. When fish hits you don't raise pole, you pull it hand over hand to get fish in boat. He always said if the fog was on the water there was no sense going. I know he caught a lot of bass like this.

Post Thanks / Like

now that would be something wild to be involved with.........

also sounds like something that would really be interesting
    to try.................

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of it before. Interesting......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast