Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: question about fiberglass boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default question about fiberglass boats

Im in the market for bass boat, not new, looking from 99 models to about 2003. 18-20ft............

Looking for suggestions on what others think is the best boats for not getting blown around by the wind. I know that they all get blown around some but some more than others for sure. Im sure this has to do with the way the hull design is and how far they sit in the water. I just wish I knew which was THE BEST because I would get THAT BOAT. lol I fish a lot and fish out of a deep v alum boat and tired of being blown around like a paper cup in a wind storm.

Any suggestions would be great. My uncle has a 21 ft champion boat and it does really well but didnt know if someone knew of any that seemed to "better" than the rest when it came to this problem...... Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Go down to the Georgia board and look for the thread on pics of boats. Look for Gabowmans boat. That looks to me like a top contender for what ya want, or something along that line. But I am fishin out of a little G3 1448 and get blown around when I sneeze so I ain't no expert on the subject. I am sure more info will be along shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass hull contenders would be Ranger, Champion and Stratos...there are some others that would be similar, but the Champ will have the deepest keel on that list, but it's a marginal advantage. If you're looking for a bass boat hull, they are all going to be two spits difference for your purpose. I've owned a Stratos 295 (19.5'), A Champ 186 (18.5) and now a Basscat Jaguar (20' 4"). Haven't got the BC ready to fish yet, but know it's going to perform similar (although better than the Champ due to beam and length.

Only 2 cautions I'll throw at you....if you're looking sub 20', absolutely stay away from a dual console. They eat up precious room in a hurry on boats under 20'. Big stinking difference in an 18' and a 20' boat.

The other caution is to get the one you want the first time. I can show you a series of knots on my head provided by my wife to illustrate my point and surprisingly it's not a 1 to 1 ratio.

It really all depends on your budget, but if you're a po-boy, like me..."classic" hull designs that work well for Crappie are Ranger 4 series, Stratos 295 and 201 and Champion 2 series - 201, 221, 223. Pay close attention to the layout when you pick...little things make a huge difference.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

PS...Gabowman's boat is awful sweet for all around Crappie fishing and was tempted to go that direction myself.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Just re-read your posts and the vintage of 99-03 is going to mean the Ranger will be the 5 series - 518, 519, 520. Champ would be the same I think and Stratos would be the same 201, but the 295 was discontinues somewhere along there and they went to a 294 designation I think.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0

Post Thanks / Like

For the money, you can't beat a Procraft hull. They were well made boats and sell for less than the big names.

Just make sure whatever you get is composite under the glass instead of wood. Way less to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Only 2 cautions I'll throw at you....if you're looking sub 20', absolutely stay away from a dual console. They eat up precious room in a hurry on boats under 20'. Big stinking difference in an 18' and a 20' boat.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe, do you believe you would go this route if you fished the winter months consistantly??? I know that you give up some room but man I can't imagine being the passenger of a bass boat running 60mph when its 30 degrees or less. Im on the water (as long as my lakes arent frozen) atleast twice a week and up to 4 times per week and take a partner. Would you have a dual console in this situation.??

Folks that have fished out of both, can I get your opinions on this?? Not that I don't believe ya wannabe, just want other opinions also.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the advantage of a single console if you need the deck space and extra storage for many poles. In Ohio we are limited to two poles, so we are normally casting jigs, not much trolling going on. I bet your partner would appreciate the dual console on these cold days. Was Yates boat a single or dual? As a passenger, how bad was it going 70 mph?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EFslabs View Post
    I can see the advantage of a single console if you need the deck space and extra storage for many poles. In Ohio we are limited to two poles, so we are normally casting jigs, not much trolling going on. I bet your partner would appreciate the dual console on these cold days. Was Yates boat a single or dual? As a passenger, how bad was it going 70 mph?
    Oh its flippin cold, and he had a dual console which is what our hawk boat is but Ill be honest with ya, the other day in the tournament we froze our arses off with the the consoles so really is it really helping that much.

I would like some input from folks who have owned both in cold conditions, would you rather have the single or dual console?? Seems like everyone in my area that fishes the winter has duals.

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy of mine has a 18' champion with a 150 and SC. We were in Alalbama fishing, 34 degrees and just starts a light rain. Of course we want to fish 8 - 10 miles up river. He started the motor and takes off WOT. On the way I kept putting my hand up the back of my clothes and he finally stopped the boat and asked if I was okay. I said yeah I'm okay I'm just trying to see if those rain drops are going completely through me. I mean, it was like sitting on the hood of the car going down the expressway in the rain. CatFan has a good point I've never thought of but you fish in the rain alot, I would get the dual console.
    It was a nice boat to fish from.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast