PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your tackle?

FishnNole
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a Gander Mountain near my home in SFl but they never have the baits I want. If its good they are out or they have the wrong color or weights. Do most of you guys order on-line or buy from local shops?

windstone
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
grizzly ifn i got a couple of days. local bps if in a hurry.................

dallas1
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
bout all i buy is my rods reels and line and jig heads from diff places with the best deal. the rest i make,

huntinslabs
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
grizzly ifn i got a couple of days. local bps if in a hurry.................

^^ what he said^^ Heck for the cost of gas to get to Bass Pro in Orlando I can pay shippin from Grizzley. And they are fast!!!And have bout everything you could want.

crappiemax
01-25-2012, 05:21 PM
I buy most of my stuff online. I get all my jigs from Nightprowler he's a member/sponser on here. He's got reasonable prices and exceptional quality. I can choose the hooks I want get them with or without weedguards. He makes a good variety of different styles of baits. As far as the plastics, I order most of them online from different places. Like Huntinslabs said with the price of gas it's cheaper than driving all over the place.

deathb4disco
01-25-2012, 05:32 PM
It depends. For most things, I go to Bass Pro, which is just twenty minutes away. For my carp gear, I have to get it online, since most of America hasn't caught on to how awesome carp are. For fly gear, I'm lucky to have several excellent fly shops close by.

CatFan
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
I buy stuff on clearance from Walmart, but full price stuff I get about half from places close to the lake and half from BPS when I'm ordering something else.

Reel Man
01-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Check this guys stuff out if you like custom hand tied jigs. (Crappie Logic (http://www.crappielogic.com)) He's a member sponsor on here and gives a discount to crappie.com members. You can also pm him on here at Donald@CrappieLogic. He can make any color, weight and hook size you require.

GRIZZ
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Dicks, local shops. FishUSA, northwesthunterssupply, LandBigFish.

Blackhawk19
01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I do mostly Bass Pro, there about 50 miles from me but only about 7 miles from the VA hospital that I go to pretty regular so I combine the trips. I was in my first Gander Mountain about a week ago in Hattiesburg MS and was greatly disappointed, low on stock, nothing priced and rude sales people that acted like they were doing you a favor to answer a question. I won't darken their door again!

shelldecoy
01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
I buy mostly on line but occasional visit to bass pro

Buckie02
01-26-2012, 01:59 AM
I like Grizzly Jig. They will send you a good catalog and are friendly with fast service.

jonboatfisher
01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Monks crappie.com is another good place to buy from. I pick out what i want online then call and speak to Monk him self. I get my order in 2-3 days.

bugman
01-26-2012, 06:26 AM
I have a Gander Mountain near my home in SFl but they never have the baits I want. If its good they are out or they have the wrong color or weights. Do most of you guys order on-line or buy from local shops?

Local shops are great when going to a new lake to hear the hot baits and latest reports but they will get in your pocket.....if i don't have what i need then i give Louie and Wade a call at Grizzly,good folks.

ChrisCarter
01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
I normally get my regular tackle from Cabelas, but i am getting more into getting jigs and plastics online.

CrappiePappy
01-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Here, there, and almost everywhere :biggrin

I get a lot of my tackle from site members, either thru the Classifieds Forum or their websites &/or direct contact (PM/phone/email). I've bought from local tackle/bait shops, Sportsmans Whse, Wally World, and some online stores like CrappiePro or BPS. The "Bait Monkey" has had his way with me, for some time now .... but, I've come to the point where I'm a little more in control (I think :dono ). At any rate, I think I've got enough tackle to last me for a good long while .... at least until I find/hear about the next great "secret weapon" for slaying Slab Crappie, at which time I'm sure the Bait Monkey will once again crawl up on my shoulders & start whispering in my ear. Rofl

... cp :cool:

xring
01-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Here, there, and almost everywhere :biggrin

I get a lot of my tackle from site members, either thru the Classifieds Forum or their websites &/or direct contact (PM/phone/email). I've bought from local tackle/bait shops, Sportsmans Whse, Wally World, and some online stores like CrappiePro or BPS. The "Bait Monkey" has had his way with me, for some time now .... but, I've come to the point where I'm a little more in control (I think :dono ). At any rate, I think I've got enough tackle to last me for a good long while .... at least until I find/hear about the next great "secret weapon" for slaying Slab Crappie, at which time I'm sure the Bait Monkey will once again crawl up on my shoulders & start whispering in my ear. Rofl

... cp :cool:

Lol, Their must be alot of them monkeys around...I have one that found a perch on my shoulder too. lol
I, like most of you, do lots of business with Grizzly Jigs, Cabela's and some with BPS...I buy locally if I am in a hurry and am in that "gotta have it NOW" mode....

chaunc
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I buy a lot online too but when i'm visiting the baitshop, for any reason, i'll pick up a few jigs or something while i'm talking to the owner or asking about the bite. May even pick up a reel or rod later if i damage one of mine. I usually get a better price on them than if i order on line.

Crappieday
01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I do mostly Bass Pro, there about 50 miles from me but only about 7 miles from the VA hospital that I go to pretty regular so I combine the trips. I was in my first Gander Mountain about a week ago in Hattiesburg MS and was greatly disappointed, low on stock, nothing priced and rude sales people that acted like they were doing you a favor to answer a question. I won't darken their door again!
I see you have joined the club too. Every time I go in there I say it's going to be the last time, yesterday was the last, last time.......

xring
01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I see you have joined the club too. Every time I go in there I say it's going to be the last time, yesterday was the last, last time.......

They must have transferred the employees from the Little Rock store to Mississippi...I went there ONCE 1 time UNO, onetime..was NUFF.

RIVERRATT
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I deal with monk mostly he 's a good guy Grizzly has good stuff as well

Blackhawk19
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Well, I'm glad to find out it wasn't just me, heck I thought they might have known I was from Alabama. :biggrin:biggrin

FishnNole
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks again guys - this is a great site - so much information and a ton of friendly fishermen. I've already checked out Grizzly and I am compiling an order.

I was told at the GM in WPB that they have no controll over the ordering, its all done out of the home office. They dont know what they are going to receive, when, or how much. They dont really load up the store based on local needs.

Triton9918
02-03-2012, 07:42 AM

I miss big buck's. I HATE Gander man in Hattiesburg.

joejv4
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm lucky to have a BPS that's only a 20 minute drive from the house, in the same town we go to for groceries & stuff, so it's easy to justify a trip any time we go into town. I get the bulk of my tackle at BPS, some at Wally-World, and usually grab something along with bait whenever I'm in a bait shop.

The is a Gander Mtn about 40 minutes away (not near anyplace I ever go), but after my neighbor went and told me their fishing tackle selection is poor compared to BPS (but that they have great selection for hunting), I have pretty much decided it's not worth the extra gas to go there since there isn't anything near them where I'd be able to combine trips.

Having a BPS is a good thing and a bad thing... Good because they have what I want at decent prices, close to home, but it's bad when the bait monkey gets active too often - leaves me with an empty wallet (and this happens a lot!).