Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone use a fish basket?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use a fish basket?

I know most of you guys have live wells, etc. but I'm just a poor jon boat crappie fisherman.

But I'm thinking about getting a fish basket for keeping my catch alive instead of throwing them in the cooler. My primary motivation is that if I haven't caught enough to make it worth cleaning, I'll release what I've got.

I slow troll with jigs only 10-15 feet behind the boat.

Do you think the basket will interfere with trolling motor steering? (my home lake doesn't allow gas motors so that's not a concern...we only go slow)

Will the caught fish scare off other fish? I don't want to hang them over the side if they're going to yell out to the other fish "No, dude don't bite on that thing. It's not real!!!"

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using one for several years now. It works great, won't scare the fish and keeps them alive better than a live well. If you get one, bass pro has them with a plastic lid on the top that keeps it floating even if it is full of fish and if you happen to loose it, it still floats. Had one that was wire only and it came loose for the boat and sank with about 25 fish in it. If I had a livewell, I still would use one. Does not affect the boat while trolling either.

Post Thanks / Like

If I did not have a livewell I would use one for just the reason you stated. Might force ya to adjust yer steering a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one when wading. It's alot easier to use than a stringer and keeps the fish healthy. Definitely get the floating lid basket.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I use em wen bank fishin use to use astringer but switched. To the basket to keep snakes away wat size Jon u got I only got a 1436 and have a pretty good size well made out of a rubbermaid and a bilge pump I seen em made from coolers too
    CarDen Lawn Care and Maintenance
    www.cardenlawncare.com
    Cell (870) 329-4675

Dave Willis is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can make a basket float by putting a 16 oz drink bottle in it,(after you drink the contents).

Post Thanks / Like

here over here i use 1 and love it dont have 2 worry about ice for anything but drinks and food

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use one when wading or fishing out of a boat with no livewell. When the water gets really warm, I take an ice chest.