Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Broken Bow??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broken Bow??

I could use some help from you knowledgable folk. :D
    I'm going to be camping @ Broken Bow from 27th to the 30th and was wondering how the crappie were biting and what would be some good spots for shore angling (as I have no boat at the present).

Thanks in advance for any and all the help that you can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help sd. I haven't been on the Bow in over 25 years. The only thing I remember about it, is that how beautiful it is there. Since you are fishing from the bank, try jigs below a slip bobber. I am thinking the spawn is over with there, but you might find a male or two guarding a nest. Work the jig start about a couple of feet below the bobber working all areas you can cast to. Then, just deepen the depth and repeat. You might find some suspended fish over some brush doing this. Good luck! Enjoy your trip!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Here are some spots...

I have been going to Broken Bow with my grandparents since I was knee-high to a grasshopper......Im 33 now...

As far as bank fishing....tough question...because really the only access to the shoreline is immediately around the boat ramps. Maybe toward the south end of the lake may provide some more accessibly areas....keep in mind that the lake is very steep bottomed....so even a cast from a bank can put you in 30 ft deep water....

But we have always had a boat to use....here are some good spots with a boat....

If you have the cash...maybe rent a boat from the marina and head to one of the following spots:

We have always had sucess about half way up Bee Creek on the north side....at the mouth of Otter Creek (on the map it is the very large arm to the east of Bee Creek)...just around the bend on the south side of where the Mountain Fork river comes into the main body of the lake....also, if you launch from Carson Creek area, just take the first left from the boat ramp (about 10 o'clock from the ramp)...then along the west side of the island on your right has been good...

in almost all of these spots....you will notice that about 10 yards from the shore, you are in about 40-60 ft of water....but the crappie hang around the tree tops......

here is a link to the map of the lake....

http://www.owrb.state.ok.us/news/pub...wa/wa.php#maps

The lake has huge crappie....and we usually catch walleye while we are crappie fishing.....let me know how well you do.
    Last edited by Soonrbish; 04-24-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies fellas.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey SD the bank fishing may be a little better now, I think that lake is wayyy down like 15 or 20 foot last time I checked

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm not going to get to make the broken bow trip this week. So I'll be relegated to fishing in okc locally this weeknd.
    Hopefully I'll be able to try again in a couple weeks. This weekend looks like storms would have made Sat and Sunday a mess down there anyway.
    Thanks for the input on fishing down there.

Post Thanks / Like

My grandparents have been down there all week and likely through the weekend....I'll give a report once they are back....