Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worms

Post Thanks / Like

Question Worms

Anyone keep their own worms? I am tired of the bait store hours and wal-mart was out of worms for a week. I saw at Gander Mountain they had a styrofoam container for keeping worms. How long should they last in it? How much trouble or smell are they to keep?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check some of the older threads

This topic was discussed shortly after the panfish forum was started. Several of us keep worms. We have two styrofoam coolers in our cellar with worms that we use for bait and composting. If we buy any and have some leftover, they go into the tub ,too. That's really how we started keeping worms. Use that Frabill bedding to start and supplement with shredded newspaper and chopped up vegetables and you're good to go. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

all you have to do is keep it refirated and feed it flour or corn starch and if you keep it long anough youll need to replace the soil
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]sam

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Ok, what do u mean by refirated? What does it mean?

So you only feed them Flour or cornstarch? Nothing else?

Say a cooler 20"x12"x12". How much flour would u add and how oftain? Do you just sprinkle on top or do you mix it in?

What do you use for main bedding? Right now I have some nightcrawlers in a mixture of plain dirt, shreaded newpapers(used paper shreader works great), and grass clippings.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good combination for holding. Be sure you keep it cool, but refrigerators dehydrate the worms if held too long. The Frabill (and there are other brands) food appeasr to be a mix of corn meal and corn flour. Just sprinkle a little on top of the bedding. They'll come up and eat it. Even with the chopped vegs, egg shells and coffee grounds we put in, we use feed for the tiny babies that hatch out. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

my grandma used to raise and sell redworms. she used cow manure for the bedding, she had the cows, and she feed them chicken pellets 1 a week and sray water on the bed after to moisten the manure and the food also. she had worms as far back as i can remember. this was large scale but im sure it would be the same for a small bed.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 500 redworms from BPS in Jan and have left the worms in the original container and bedding. I feed them about a spoonful of hushpuppy mix every week and water as necessary.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a spare refriderator for my bait. I use to go out and pick up worms after a rain or in the rain, but those days are gone. I usually just buy them from wal-mart and keep them in the bait fridge in the container they come in. I use to use frabill worm containers and use their bedding and would put shredded newspaper and coffee grounds in every once in awhile. Since I mostly fish for Crappie anymore I don't keep that many worms anymore.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

My dad used to rise his own worms, red and earth worms. He had them in his compost pile. They never wondered to far. He would also put bacon drippings, fat, in one side of the compost pile. That is where he would go to get worms for cat fishin.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

A fellow posted a homemade minnow trap on the main board from this same Boy's Life Scouting web-site a little while ago. This outdoor worm bed looks like a lot of trouble but it might be interesting as a more permanent worm bed. At least it can give some ideas. I used to keep a shaded outdoor worm bed in a buried old 55gal. metal drum with the top cut off and a piece of plywood over the top but that was a long time ago (sure did beat digging them up when I didn't want to drive into town to the baitshop).

Worm bed

Minnow trap
    Last edited by dixieangler; 06-12-2006 at 06:38 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast