Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand vs Foot - Trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand vs Foot - Trolling motor

I have a footcontrol on my boat now. It seems I am always wrestling with the petal, the wiring or the motor turns in the bracket and gets everything out of adjustment. Bought a offset petsal for my sit to move me back but that doesn't seem to help. The other day I was watching a guy witha hand control and everything seem so simple. When I use to bass fish I tried a hand control but that was like a kiss of death to me. I needed both hands then, Now days I am jigging around structure all the time so i don't think the I need both hands for that. Also on the G-3 1860 (my boat) I think i would be close enough to operate without any trouble. What do you guys preferr and why. Thanks

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I prefer the remote control for my kind of fishing (longlining) but before I switched from spider rigging to longlining I used a hand steer bow mounted tm and liked it as good as any I'd seen. I havent had a fioot control tm for 35 years but can still remember the nightmares I had wrestling with that thing in my bassing days. I was either headed straight towards the bank or straight away all the time.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Terrova 80 w/Ipilot and remote and love it for trolling and cranks. Dont miss the hand control but still have the foot control out for occasional use.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I had a hc went to fc love it, the new trolling motors dont move around.
    Cabelas, Crappie Magnet, Jenko Fishing, Cumberland Crappie , Slabanator Jigs, and Pure Crappie Tackle.
    Timscatchingcrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

A similar thread was on here a few days ago and someone mentioned the trollperfect for helping control the foot control motor. I never heard of it but I think I am going get one. It keeps the motor in place if you take your foot off the pedal. Not very expensive but ingenious as heck. Home

I think it would be helpful if you set the TM on constant and had to net a fish or tie a lure on.
    SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

I have a foot control (cable steer) and I love it. I tried the power drives and they weren't for me. I added a troll perfect a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to try it.
    I mostly cast jigs and vertical jig and I'm usually always moving. I can't imaging going back to a hand control.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Best device ever for trolling

Name:  DSCF1638.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  36.6 KB
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes use a pair of jig poles, run gps and depth finder while using trolling motor. I LOVE MY FOOT CONTROL.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I want my hands to handle fish, not controls.

I will say there is a huge difference between cable steering and electronic steering. I highly prefer the electronic mainly because when I put the speed on constant, I don't have to worry about taking my foot off the motor. On the cable steer, you may end up doing a 180 and going the other direction in a hurry.

If I'm trolling, I'll use both feet to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I want my hands to handle fish, not controls.

I will say there is a huge difference between cable steering and electronic steering. I highly prefer the electronic mainly because when I put the speed on constant, I don't have to worry about taking my foot off the motor. On the cable steer, you may end up doing a 180 and going the other direction in a hurry.

If I'm trolling, I'll use both feet to drive.
    Not with a troll perfect on the shaft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast