PDA

View Full Version : Hand vs Foot - Trolling motor

Bayou Boy
01-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a footcontrol on my boat now. It seems I am always wrestling with the petal, the wiring or the motor turns in the bracket and gets everything out of adjustment. Bought a offset petsal for my sit to move me back but that doesn't seem to help. The other day I was watching a guy witha hand control and everything seem so simple. When I use to bass fish I tried a hand control but that was like a kiss of death to me. I needed both hands then, Now days I am jigging around structure all the time so i don't think the I need both hands for that. Also on the G-3 1860 (my boat) I think i would be close enough to operate without any trouble. What do you guys preferr and why. Thanks

gabowman
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, I prefer the remote control for my kind of fishing (longlining) but before I switched from spider rigging to longlining I used a hand steer bow mounted tm and liked it as good as any I'd seen. I havent had a fioot control tm for 35 years but can still remember the nightmares I had wrestling with that thing in my bassing days. I was either headed straight towards the bank or straight away all the time.:rolleyes:

satdoc1
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I have a Terrova 80 w/Ipilot and remote and love it for trolling and cranks. Dont miss the hand control but still have the foot control out for occasional use.

t.slabseeker
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I had a hc went to fc love it, the new trolling motors dont move around.

SeaRay
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
A similar thread was on here a few days ago and someone mentioned the trollperfect for helping control the foot control motor. I never heard of it but I think I am going get one. It keeps the motor in place if you take your foot off the pedal. Not very expensive but ingenious as heck. Home (http://trollperfect.com/default.aspx)

I think it would be helpful if you set the TM on constant and had to net a fish or tie a lure on.
SeaRay

crappiemax
01-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a foot control (cable steer) and I love it. I tried the power drives and they weren't for me. I added a troll perfect a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to try it.
I mostly cast jigs and vertical jig and I'm usually always moving. I can't imaging going back to a hand control.

litewirehooker
01-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Best device ever for trolling

NIMROD
01-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I sometimes use a pair of jig poles, run gps and depth finder while using trolling motor. I LOVE MY FOOT CONTROL.

filletfetish
01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I want my hands to handle fish, not controls.

I will say there is a huge difference between cable steering and electronic steering. I highly prefer the electronic mainly because when I put the speed on constant, I don't have to worry about taking my foot off the motor. On the cable steer, you may end up doing a 180 and going the other direction in a hurry.

If I'm trolling, I'll use both feet to drive.

crappiemax
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I want my hands to handle fish, not controls.

I will say there is a huge difference between cable steering and electronic steering. I highly prefer the electronic mainly because when I put the speed on constant, I don't have to worry about taking my foot off the motor. On the cable steer, you may end up doing a 180 and going the other direction in a hurry.

If I'm trolling, I'll use both feet to drive.

Not with a troll perfect on the shaft

barrelslime
01-22-2012, 08:43 PM
My Triton has a recessed foot control and the pedal is screwed to the floor and doesnt move. If it were not recessed I would have put a hand control on my boat.

The Country Toad
01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
i'm in the process of switching from hand controlled to an ipilot. true the hand controlled is very simple but for me, even just trying to stay on top of brush or fighting the wind while long lining, seems that if i ever let go once i'm 20mi from where i want to be. and it all ways happens when i've hung up or trying to get a drum off the hook. i went with hand controlled when i bought my boat for the simplicity and thefactthat i fish in wheeler dams tailrace alot. balance is important there. haha! but now i'm long lining and pushing corks more so the remote and foot control are better for me.

steve48
01-22-2012, 09:05 PM
If you are using a motor guide, as loose as they are, go ahead and get the Troll Perfect. It fits on shaft and has thumbscrew to adjust tension on bottom of shaft.You can take your foot off control and it will still go straight. That was always my trouble. Catch a fish, take my foot off and it would shoot sideways.

Eager Beaver
01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I just ordered the troll perfect, hopefully it works as everyone says it does. I have the big motor and when I take my foot off of the pedal the motor swings around and will about throw me out of the boat when I am standing which is most of the time. EB

crappiedoc
01-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I've had and used them all. You just can't beat the precision of a hand-control, response is immediate. I have a Maxxum cable drive right now and enjoy it, but it's different. I could tight-line, vertical 1/100's in a 30mph wind with a hand-control, and that's about the only one I can do that with.

genec
01-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I have a maxuum 70 it has a tension adjustment on pedal, love it. With experience ,a cable is the only motor for jigging straight over brush in wind,hand will but with shifting wind you will have to continue reaching for motor and spotlock will move all over the place. Sound like many just need to get more experience with cable . You should be able to throw a marker out and be able to look at marker and never see TM and be able to stay right on marker even in strong and shifting wind. I am sure their are many on here that can say that they can.

MePreach
01-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I bought the trollperfect a few weeks ago and it fixed my problem of motor swinging around when unattended! It takes a few times adjusting it to get it to your liking but it works perfect for what its designed for.

OkieDon
01-23-2012, 09:27 AM
I love my ipilot. But when the remote screwed up, I screwed the foot pad to the deck and used the right/left arrows (instead of the foot peddle) so I could use two hands for fishing. Very precise control plus the speed control was right at your foot as well.

Hanr3
01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I too have hand control and have no problems. Most times I use the trolling motor to help set my anchors. I rarely troll around except to sneak up on a spot.

Mikie
01-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Real simple to make go to plumbing dept get rubber connector 1 1/2 by 1 3/8 it comes with clamps attached. 1- remove clamps 2-cut lengthwise. 3-wrap around shaft at joint (small shaft turns inside large one). 4-trim so that edges butt together this will be lengthwise.5-put clamps on and tighten large and one barely tighten small one. Try it and loosen or tighten small clamp as needed.

skeetbum
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM
My first foot controlled TM was a transom mount, 12lb thrust sears, that I mounted a doorbell button in the face of and wired it through the low speed side, leaving high power on constant. Reached up with a toe and hit the button, and move the handle with a rod or foot or hand, which ever was handy. "Knee knockers" were popular in the Bass Boats at the time, mostly with folks who stood all day flipping and such. One of these becomes a foot control by adding an impulse, or momentary button in line. I made a switchbox that has a switch between constant and momentary, and the momentary button in the top. Connect the TM to the out side of the box, and the battery to the in side, set the speed and stomp on the button and off you go. Any hand controlled needs a set up like this to be effective, in my opinion. My last TM was a cable steer and the reaction time was good, the lack of a constant on switch and tension device to hold it's direction, it was impossible to troll. I bought my second PD motor to replace it, a PDV2, and like it just fine. I have the foot pedal and co pilot to control it, so I can use either. It takes some getting used to, working a brushpile in a stiff wind with a rod in each hand can get a little frustrating. I'm not convinced that the terrova with it's extra features would do any better, considering the wind strength. I sometimes have to use one foot to hold the power on and the other to change direction to hold spot and fight the wind, but that's the only down side I can come up with. That's my two cents.

Rakoprtr
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
That's the same thing I did to my Hand control I used a christmas tree light foot switch

Bombfixer
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I had a foot controlled Minn-Kota for many years. Was constanly having problems with the controller falling over in rough water, and the the pedal being hard to push. swithced to a Hand Held and never looked back. I can point the boat, and concentrate on fishing. I have attached a longer handle so that I can nudge the handle with a knee if I need too. I think I have better pinpoint control of my boat with the hand held.

minnowtime
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I like the electric control on the minkota power dr.2. can set the speed & direction and it holds true, can use anywhere in boat with hand or foot.
Had a hand controll earlier and would not go back.