Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Making Critter Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making Critter Jigs

Hey gents, for all you who tie your own jigs, I'm looking for a variety of ideas on how to tie jigs and/or flies for smaller panfish (bream). Assembly instructions, materials needed, and pictures of what you've found works well would be perfect. Thanks for the help.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Any regular 1/64th oz jig will destroy the bream. One of the builders I work for has an old coal pit. This place has those hand sized bream, (perch/bluegill) They tend to hit any color, any size. I use the 1/64th so they can get the hook in their mouth. I wish I could help on the flies, but, don't have the experience to know what I am talking about when it comes to fly tying.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I buy black rubber bodies from Netcraft and tie "bugs" onto kink-shank hooks using the plastic bodies and black rubber legs and black thread. It's a very effective bluegill lure, especially if tipped it with a crappie nibble or some other scent producing item. If you want to drop them down, you can put a little weight above or below the bug, or if you want them to stay near the top, throw them out using a casting bubble. You can probably tie them onto a little black ball jig, too, which will give you the appearance of eyes.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com

They have books and all the supplies you'll need. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the little dry flies (I think that is what they are called) you can buy cheep most anywhere. All you need is a little split shot to weight them down.

I have also used the little pre-rigged worms that come with 2 per package with the in-line spinner. They are made my Creme Lure Co.

Also the little PowerBait worms that come linked together and are about 3/4" long. Also the Glup Maggots and worms will do the trick also.

I have also used the very tiny jigs with safety pin type spinners.

A couple of weeks I picked up a few nice ones trolling for crappie using a 1/32 oz. jig and or Roadrunners.

I would expect to do well with any tiny micro type soft plastic rigged with a small jig head.

I think you could tie any little tiny jig and catch all you want this time of year. The spawn is soon to be on for the Bream.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl,

This thread shows some of my favorites:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=17689&page=3

There are several ways to make flies/lures for fish.

Here are a few suggestions for materials:
    Peacock Herl
    Crystal or Pearl Chenille in small
    Rayon Chenille in Med
    Whiting 100 Packs in size 12 Dun color
    Marabou in various colors
    Round rubber legs in small and med in various colors
    Foam spider bodies

This site has alot of patterns and recipes for various flies:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

I jumped into fly tying last year and have amassed a pretty good bit of materials and knowledge. I can teach you quite a bit and show you what works great, plus we could get in some fishing time if you are willing to drive up here.

You can get alot of cheap materials from craft stores. You can get alot of free materials from big game taxidermist.... just ask for their scraps of fur. Roadkill is a good place to get free fur and feathers. Chicken yards or aviaries are great places to get free dropped feathers. You are only limited by your imagination.
    I invented a fly awhile back called Ladd's Blow Fly. It's killer on bream and bass. Looks like a drowned blow fly. I make them beaded and unbeaded.

Fly tying is alot of fun, and you can make a bit of money to help out with materials. I have sold quite a few flies to friends and local stores. In your business you could easily sell them to your clients.

If you need any help or want to learn just hollar at me. I would be glad to help.

Take Care,
    Ronnie Ladd
    Last edited by SwampHunter; 04-24-2006 at 06:04 AM.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for some direction folks. I have a neighbor who is a D-Day Vet in his 80's and loves to bream fish. It is one of my goals this year to take him fishing as many times as possible and slowly get him turned on to catching bream in the hundreds and maybe even some nice slab crappie. Making some critter jigs just for him to field test for me will be an opportunity for me to feature him on my website, maybe. Thanks agian, VERY much!

Last edited by Darryl Morris; 04-24-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl, I will send you some that work well out West. I make them with chukar feathers. Add water and they come alive.