Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where to fish with 8' boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where to fish with 8' boat?

Just acquired an 8' 2-man boat with a trolling motor and am looking for recommendations for lakes suitable for a small boat. Anything within an hour or so of the Belleville area?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, I'm looking for someplace where we, as inexperienced boaters, wouldn't feel totally overwhelmed by tons of big boats, etc.

Thanks!
    Fishaholic

Post Thanks / Like

both the new pyramid and the old pyramid have tons of smaller lakes and ponds. Most with a 10 hp limmit. Try bluebill lake at the new pyramid and pine lake at the old one. Lots of bluegill and bass at both

Post Thanks / Like

Try hourseshoe lake a buddy goes there sometimes. Catches afew cats and crappie.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Pyramid, Washington County is a good choice and a bit closer to you at about 45 miles. You also have Duquoin City Lake within the same general region at about 70 miles from you. And if you want a piece of paradise you can make a longer drive down to Dutchman near Vienna, Illinois. Its about 130 miles from you though. Horseshoe Lake (not the one by St Louis)down at Olive Branch is perfect for your little boat also but probably farther than you want to drive at about 140 miles. How about the Grand Tower Chute down highway 3 from St Louis between Murphysboro and Wolf Lake? Its 80 miles south of you. While your on your way there you can stop at Lake Murphysboro too...a stone throw off highway 3 as well and about 70 miles south of you. Kinkaid is a great crappie lake with no motor retriction BUT the entire western arm of the lake is no wake plus there is a ramp up there too. Theres another small lake with a ramp no one talks much about that has some big crappie called Lyerla. Its on down Highway 3 in Reynoldsville...about 120 miles from you. Baldwin is only about 30 miles from you but it has a 50HP limit on it so you might get into more boat traffic there. Coffeen is another one. Big crappie in this lake. Its about 70 miles from you and has a 25 HP limit so you wont see big boats here. Forbes is staight east of you at about 75 miles and is only 580 acres. All of these little waters have plenty of crappie in them and no big boats will swamp you..although they might be more distance than your willing to drive. Just throwing out options.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like "sioutdoors' has a good idea for you there. I had a very bad experience years ago with a one man boat on a larger lake. Had a speed boat buzz me real close and dumped me and all my gear. So be sure to be extremely careful as to where you fish.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like we have more options that I thought. Can't wait to try some/all of them out! Thanks again! I'm glad I found this board with folks so willing to help!

Fishaholic

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try ten mile creek area. It is in the Belle Rive area east about 10 miles from Mt. Vernon on Il 142. It is owned by the state and has a ten horse limit. They are strip pits and the fishing there is excelent. I catch nice blue gill and crappie out of these lakes and the water is clear and deep. A few of them are private owned but most are owned by the state. The ones owned by the state are marked very well and most have a boat ramp and parking lot.
    Just a thought.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

fishaholic check your private messages.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold