Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hello again...many questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello again...many questions

I posted last June for the first time. Fish weren't biting good then, they are now! At least that is what folks fishing in our ponds tell me. I use a little 10-ft Bass Hunter boat and most of the guys tell me to fish a deep spot with a jig. I was wondering what kind of rod and reel setups do most of you use and why? I have some 5' ultralight spinning rigs with light line and a couple of Daiwa minicast combos. I have a ton of jigs, but picking one is going to be tough. Do any of you have the little deep running crankbaits, and if so, how do you use them? I'm fishing in large ponds in south GA. Thanks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwback .... what I'd do is "dance with the one ya brung" (so to speak) Rofl

By that, I mean use what you already have & are comfortable with using. Worry about getting new equipment, when the old stuff don't work no'mo !!

If you're pressed for space in the boat ... take a small box with an assortment of colors, out in the boat with you (like maybe 4-6 of each in white, chartreuse, black, green, and some combos). If you find out what they like, & run out (lose) all of that color ... have a bigger, backup box in your vehicle & go replenish your supply.

Those mini-cranks won't dive very deep, but you can get them down deep by putting a splitshot sinker up the line from them. Cast or troll with them, same as your jigs.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Like CP stated, you rods will work fine for fishing deep. You will move more into the longer jig rods once you start picking trees and stump apart. Pick a jig and start fishing it, change colors, sizes, and styles until you find what they want. Fish brushpiles, ledges, drops, and kind of deep structure. Last few times out, I have was catching fish on a little creek channel about 20' wide, in 30' of water or so. I start my jig on the bottom, and work my way up in the water until I found where they were holding.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Gonna go with what I have. I'll try the split shot on the crank baits.