Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What budget jigging rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What budget jigging rod?

Hey guys.

Another newbie quesiton. I am looking for a budget rod/reel set up for jigging shallow and deep water brushpiles. I might also use it for slip floating spawning fish. Do you guys have a suggestion on rod brand and length and reel brand. I have been looking through the new Grizzly catalog and I am a little overwhelmed

Thanks in advance

C

Post Thanks / Like

B&M Bucks Graphite. outstanding bang for the buck with great performance

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Cabelas Classics, they have diffrent actions and lengths. If you catch them on sale you can get them for a little over $20. I've got a few of them, keep them in the rod storage so if I break one I just get another one out.

Post Thanks / Like

its a little pricey but u mite like a ozark rod from grizzly i got the 11fter for xmas but if ur use 2 fishing with a 10fter dont jump up to the 11fter it feels like ur holdng an extra 5lbs

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I dont really know what I need. I was hoping to stay in the 25 dollar range but that might not be realistic. Basically I will be using the set up to fish lay downs and submerged brush piles. Up till now I have just been using a 6 foot spinning set up. Maybe I dont need a different rig??? Any thoughts about the best way to fish this type of cover. I have tried using an el cheapo telesopic cane pole without eyes and it was tough to control and deal with I think because there was no reel or eyes. The line was just tied to the end of the pole.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am a little bit new to jig fishing for crappie and specialized equipment.

Caleb

Post Thanks / Like

another good 1 is a http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-210-bucks-...ch-system.aspx i broke my but i loved the bottom reel seat it was awesoem

Post Thanks / Like

Wood duck nailed it, drop 35 and get a 10 foot bucks graphite jig pole, its a great all around pole until you get serious enough to have a pole for every tactic, you can vertical jig the shallow or deep stuff or flip a bobber, you can't buy a graphite rod much cheaper, and with the bucks you can always buy replacement tip sections if ya break it, and that's really what you need to do what you want to do, six footer will never let ya cover the structure like dippin a long pole.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrappie View Post
    Wood duck nailed it, drop 35 and get a 10 foot bucks graphite jig pole, its a great all around pole until you get serious enough to have a pole for every tactic, you can vertical jig the shallow or deep stuff or flip a bobber, you can't buy a graphite rod much cheaper, and with the bucks you can always buy replacement tip sections if ya break it, and that's really what you need to do what you want to do, six footer will never let ya cover the structure like dippin a long pole.
    This might bite me in the ass (no pun intended) but.... if you buy any rod or reel from a company named Gander, you have a chance to buy a warranty. Although typically I would say never buy a war., if they are the same price and even if bought at different times, the warranty holds. This is crucial for bad reels, or rods that are bad. Typically, (and I have done this 4 times) if you set the hook and the tip breaks, They will send a new gift card as the price of shipping is more than they are willing to lose. Buy the BnM 10, its worth it. I also have a 12 and 8. You'd be surprised how many times I use the 8 when you way up in it. Cypress deep, and 10-15 dont mix. 8 is killer.

Jimbo'

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, 99.9% of times when you set the hook and the rod breaks, it has had pressure put on it, from a knee or foot or maybe from the guy shipping it if its the first fish you've caught, or its been nicked hard, if something's actually wrong with the pole most places will replace it without warranty, minus the big box stores. I have seen a whole box of new rods that were defects and all broke in the same spot with nearly no pressure, but that was one in a thousand.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Almost forgot the best part about the Bucks Graphite....available at wally world!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast