Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outboard mpg?

Post Thanks / Like

Default outboard mpg?

been thinking real hard on downsizing back to a metal rig, in the 115 to a 150 horsepower range but beeen looking at the mpg charts on yamaha etc and the smaller motors are still 3 to 4 mpg at the higher rpms .the same as the 250 i been using..so if i down size im still getting the same mpg just at a slower speed...would like to hear from you midrange guys and see your numbers..did notice that the mpg starts getting better with the 90 horse and lower on smaller rigs. just dont think i can go that far down...had it in my head that a 18 foot lowe or express with a 115 had alot better fuel ecnomoy then a 19 to to 21 foot glass boat with a 225 or 250..

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know, but 18 gallons will go a long ways in a War Eagle 860DSV with a 90 Yam 4st.

I would still think that the boats you mentioned would get better than what you have, unless you're trying to run 60mph or whatever. You would have the smaller motors wound out and burning quite a bit of fuel, but just be cruising in the rig you have now. Maybe that's where they are becoming closer in mph. Just slow down in the rig you have now, get better mileage, still be running as fast as you could possibly in the alum. rig, and still have the juice if you need it.

If you have to run wide open every where you go, regardless of how fast the rig is, then I don't know what to tell you. Pay to play.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20' stratos with a yamaha 225. It's not the boat gas that gets me, it's the truck it takes to pull it.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pro team 190 with a 115 Optimax and it's great on fuel economy.
    I had the pro team 185 with a 75 hp mercury force and the 115 Optimax is twice as good on gas.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older Merc150 and I think it gpm, not mpg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    Rofl
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    You are correct. My old 150 used a lot of gas too. Boats are rated for GPH and not MPG
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I downsizes from an 18.5' Skeeter with a 175 HPDI to an 18' aluminum boat with a 70 4-stroke. It's no only about outboard mileage. You have to think about the truck too. The towing weight of my Skeeter was about twice what my Xpress is. My 4-stroke is easy on the gas though. All I do is crappie fish and duck hunt anymore so I didn't need a 70 mph boat to do either. I can fish lakes further away more often and not take out a loan to put gas in the truck or the boat. Plus, I've got one boat to do everything in instead of keeping a Jon for hunting and a glass boat for fishing. The mileage on comparable DFI and 4-stroke motors will be close to one another. The best way to save gas in a boat is to slow down.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my gut feeling here, I've got no data to back it up, but I think in order to accomplish most of your goal, you're going to have to step all the way down to a 17/90 HP or an 18/115 HP. Fuel mileage falls off quick when you step up to the displacement of the 150 class motors.

Good point was made above on the towing costs too. For me, that would be moot as 85% of my trips are towing 5 miles. May be for you too, but once you go over 90 HP your towing costs go way up.

All that said, stepping down to an aluminum hull from what you've been riding in is gonna hurt your feelings.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running a 90hp merc, and as long as I run it at cruising speed (25 mph on the gps), I get pretty good mileage bumming from fishing spot to fishing spot around the nearby lakes... the 18 gal tank lasts for 5 or 6 all-day outings. When I'm trolling for trout/salmon at idle speed, I could probably go a full week of trolling all day. Now, all that said, when I open her up and run at her max of 35mph, I can watch the gas-gage creeping toward the big red "E", in fact the sound of the motor gets drowned out by the sucking sound coming from the fuel tank!!!!

I think that you're not gonna see any fuel mileage savings if you run wide open, regardless of what motor you go with - nature of the beast. That's why most motor/boat packages will list a top speed and a cruising speed - cruising speed will get you there pretty quick, without draining the tank, while top speed will get you there quicker AND drain your tank. Like mentioned above, you pay to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast