Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarassing Knot Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Embarassing Knot Question

I threw off 6 lures today using the same knot I have used for years. I dont know what the name of the knot is so I will try to describe what I do. I put the line through the eye then twist the two lines together then put the end through the hole at the bottom of the twist, then snug the twist down. It has always worked for me until today. I was using brand new 4lb line with a jig and spinner. Could it be the line? I feel like a total rookie asking about a knot but it was frustrating.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out "animatedknot.com" I apoligize for not remembering who first posted this site on crappie.com but I've found it very useful. Speck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another knot link.

http://www.troutlet.com/fishing_knots/
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your describing the "Clinch Knot". This is an excellent knot but as with all knots be sure that you wet the line and slowly pull the knot tight. If not the friction will burn your line and weaken the knot. Especially with a small diameter line such as 4 lb. test.

I always go one step further on the clinch knot and pass the tag end back thru the big loop created when the end is passed thru the first loop by the eye. I believe that this is called the "Improved Clinch Knot".

Since my eyes aren't what they used to be I have gone to the "Palomar Knot". It is made by simply having your line passed thru the eye of the jig doubled, tie an overhand knot and pass the loop back over the jig and pull tight. Retains over 90% of line strength.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with slabbandit. I return the tail back through the big loop and as disgusting as it souns, I spit on the knot as I tighten it.

Was your line brand new from the store or did you have it since last year? If you had it, was it in a cool, dark, dry place? Heat and sunlight will destroy line, especially small diameter monofilament line.

Also, how many twists are you putting in the line? The bigger the knot, the more chance you have of creating a stress point. Hope this helps.
    Likes Warrensburger LIKED above post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'll be darn. All these years I thought I was tying a uni knot when all along its been an improved clinch knot. I'll blame it on the Navy for not teaching me how to tie a jig on in boot camp. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit it...I've had the same problem. Yes, small mono makes it worse.

Solution described above by firepheonix and slabbandit will fix it forever. However, I also agree the palomar is a more reliable knot...that's what I use more than the clinch.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With not so good eyes I try tying all my hooks using the polamar knot at home but when night stalking I'll tie whatever I can to get a hook on at night. :D Before the next stalk I make sure to re-tie polamar knots. I've burnt the 4# lines using the clinch knots.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes Warrensburger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been tying the improved clinch knot for so long, I've ruint myself on trying to learn a new one. Hey firephoenix, I spit on mine too! Seems like it makes the line cinch down tighter. I've always had good luck with it and the knots pretty much only fail when the line's been on the reel a long while.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast