Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What Reels on a 10' Rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Reels on a 10' Rod?

I just started last summer with a 10' rod. I've been using spinning reels on my 10' right now. I was looking at the small bait cast style reels. What do most of you guys use and why? I bought one of the little BnM baitcast looking reels. What are the advantages to either on a long rod? Thanks for the help. I love the long rod since I started to use one, just trying to get a few more setups. Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I use spinning reels on mine. Just a matter of personal choice. And normally I don't put to high of quaility reels on them since I don't use the reels much with them. I do like the finger quick fire bale release on my reels. Most of the time I am just dipping when I am using a long rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Want to see a funny show watch me try to use any type of bait caster reel!!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use wht is now the Crappie Maxx mini bait caster. It is the all metal one at Bass Pro for $20. Looks like a little Ambassador reel. Great 5star drag and has nice tension adjustment for letting line out when button is pushed. I have several and can give you one you can try to see if you like them. I use it if dipping and have it spooled with heavy braid. If I get to fishing shallower than 8-10' for any length of time I switch to my spinning reel because it is easier to make adjustments to amount of line out. I think it weighs like 4 oz's so very light and don't even know it is there.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a small spinning reel in approx the size of 100 yards of 4lb test they help keep the weight down,the reason is that at times the fish get above the cover and i like to pitch over the top and it gives me better control when i have more than 10' of line out plus they are easier for me to pull out more line of take some up,it's really just a matter or preference,i use a tiny baitcaster once a year when i'm wading in Grenada fishin in kneedeep water just to keep the weight down as much as possible and because your reel spends alot of time in the water.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I've only used spinning reels on my crappie stuff. I was at Cabelas the other day and they had a BnM little mini reel, I bought it, thought I'd try it out. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same reel as J15. I love em cause i rarely fish over 15 fow. and with my 11' rod the reel is just a line holder. once i find the bottom i use my left had the slowly oull the jig up. With the small baitcaster you cut your weight in half. Just my preference
    Life is a game................ Fishin is SERIOUS!!!