Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions on a few different rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default suggestions on a few different rods

Okay, so here goes. I would like a few suggestions. Im looking for a rod that is as sensitive as it gets and light as a feather. 9-10ft. Looking for this rod to vertical jig 1/32 and 1/16oz jigs. I have the green walleye marshall rods I got from bass pro and I really like them for slip cork fishing but I find them to be a little tip heavy when jiging around stumps. I havent found a long rod yet that doesnt get to my shoulder after fishing it for a while. I could care less how much it costs. Just well balanced and light.

Secondly, looking for 9ft rods for fishing slip corks. I like the walleye marshall (green ones got them last year at bass pro) in 9ft but the eyes are very tiny so the little rubber bobber stops tend to get hung in them every once in a while so if anyone has ran across any rods they recommend that have bigger around eyes towards the end of the rod im open for suggestions also..

Thanks!!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally I'd be suggesting looking at the ESP line of rods. Unfortunately, they too have the micro guides on the upper section of the rod & tip ... so they're not going to be all that good for slip float/bobber stop use. Since the use of micro guides was implemented on ESP rods for reducing weight ... it would appear that those rods with the larger end guides/tips are going to be a little "tip heavy". It might also be because of the diameter/weight of the IM6 blanks being used. Most of them seem to be in the "parabolic bend" catagory, whereas the ESP rods are in the "fast action taper" catagory.

Balance comes from weight of reel vs rod weight/length .... but, it's also a lot easier to balance a rod that has a Tenn handle, since you can move the reel on the rod handle until you find the balance point. A fixed reel seat rod doesn't give you that option, so you have to find the right weight reel to balance the outfit. An ESP rod might be what you're looking for, for your jigging use ... but, it's not going to be satisfactory for slip float use, or if you're looking for a rod that will work for both techniques. I've tried it with my 9' ESP (when fieldtesting the rod) and now consign it to mostly tightline use, with the occasional jigging & casting use. With the handle extension (poodle tail) ... ESP rods are a bit clumsy to use in rod holders, but do a fine job in helping balance the outfit & for hookset leverage.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton super sensitive rod & Thill thread bobber stops work well. I have the 10ft. I did not like the 12ft. too heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered having a rod built with maybe a rain shadow blank? Look at batson enterprises for a fly rod blank and see if they have the weight of rod that you would like. When it comes to a special purpose rod we usually have them built because we cant find a manufacture that has them. Sounds like your rod is completely unbalanced and not so much the length or weight of the rod. This will result in the wrist,forearm,shoulder and eventually back pain at the end of the day.
    If you dont know of a rod builder in your area, let me know and I will let you know the 2 that we use.

Post Thanks / Like

sam heaton is a good way to go. Have you tried weighting the handle to help off set the tip? The outlaw crappie/walleye rods
    are also really nice and the have the "big" guides and alot more back done of jigging stumps.

Post Thanks / Like

outlaw jiggin rods are pretty nice for sure,,, the sam heaton is also great, worth every penny spent... lots of good rods out there , what suits me may not you,,, so if you can take our suggestions and try to get one in your hand and fish with one before you buy it, service on the rod is also a plus, good service from a rod company goes a long way,,, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

"crappie getter" made by american rod smiths .light weight and precision balanced its the ultimate dippin and pitchin rod for crappie. this rod is second to none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

For slip floats I like the two Pinnacle vertex IM7 9ft salmon rods I have. Use them all summer on the gills here and they are great. Price isn't bad either. Sensative tips, reasonable weight, cork grips, and eyes that let the string stops pass pretty well. I've never found a rod that works well with the rubber stops, they always want to catch regardless of the size of the eyes.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ugly stick lites

These just came out last summer and they sre compairable to my Fav Rods-ProAngler.
    Shakespeare Fishing Tackle

I outfitted 2 of my buddies with them and aregreat.
    I got way too many now but that's what I would get

Post Thanks / Like

I may have gotten everybody confused and after reading my post I see why.

I was looking for 2 different rods.

The best one (lightest most sensitive) for jiggin vertical around stumps

the other was a lightweight great rod for using for the float fishing with the bobber stops so I guess with the best eye selection to let the stop flow through. Im looking at all the ive looked at the suggestions above and they all look great. I hate buying things that Ive not gotten to hold in my own hand but looks like I may have to go out on a limb..... LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast