Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat advice

Might not be the correct forum, but I need some boat advice, I have always had a glass bass boat and am looking into getting a Deep V like a Tracker,Lowe,Lund style of a boat. All I do is crappie fish, from spider rigging to dipping trees, and occasionally drift for catfish. Looking for the plus and minus of this type of boat vs. a glass bass type boat. Looks like the metal deep v boats give up some front deck space, which could be an issue when dipping trees with more than one angler in the boat. Also wondering how they handle the rough water, and how the wind affects them?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try and get out in one with someone. I have thought about switching to an aluminum boat a few times such as the Xpress X 19 or the Eagle series 190 by G3. Have went and rode in a few and fished out of them. Then get back in my Champion and wonder what I was thinking. They make some very nice metal boats now just not sure if I could give up the ride and fisability of my Champ. The big V will cut the waves well but will also get blown around more than your Triton. Camp would be a good time to check some out. MarknKC has a very nice Lund. Maybe he will chime in on here. His advise would be great since he switched to his Lund from a Champion glass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't get something that will run faster than 94 mph........... you won't like it.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

My Lowe can handle rough water pretty good.I've ran in water I would not even think about in a bass boat.Another plus is I like to get in the thick of the trees to dip.I don't have to worry so much a scratch.I also think a glass boat is better for spider rigging,(more deck space)and don't get blow around as easy.So IMO if you like to mostly fish open water brush piles and do rigging a glass boat,but if you like to run across the lake in rough water and fish deep in the trees than a alum. deep V. Just my 2 cents.Hope it helps a little.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an aluminun, deep v, Starcraft 16 1/2 foot Superfisherman Fish and Ski with 90 HP Mercury Optimax. It is a good fishing boat and good in rougher water. I've had it out on LOZ in some pretty rough water and felt safe. What others have said about the wind is true ... a cross wind can make boat handling a bit of a chore. I like the walk thru windshield on the boat. In rough water it helps keep you a little dryer. But if you're looking for a family safe boat and good fishing boat, a deep v is a good choice. My boat handles a skier well. It's also lighter and easy, cheaper to tow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    Just don't get something that will run faster than 94 mph........... you won't like it.....
    lmfao!!!!
    WolfmanJack051
    Gambler Bass Boat

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20' Stratos with a 200 Merc. and i can go anywhere I want to go in any type of wind. But I can tell you that there are metal boats that can do the same. Its all what you want to spend.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Been in several Xpress boats, Lowe, Alumacraft ect. and in Champions, Rangers, and Bass Cats. Its all about what you want. You can beat the chit out of aluminium but glass will ride better and be a little better in the wind. If you want to resale the boat in the boat in a couple of years I would lean a little more toward glass (how many bass guys do you see in a tin boat)? If you are going to keep her and not worry about scratches and stress cracks then tin. I like glass because of the ride, but enjoy our little tin boat too. You will pay more up front for the glass. They all have the same manufacture of motors hanging on the back, do your homework there. Oh almost forgot been a Gambler too, there pretty good boat too...........just not fast enough!! sorry Wolfemanjack, couldn't resist!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieOutlaw View Post
    Been in several Xpress boats, Lowe, Alumacraft ect. and in Champions, Rangers, and Bass Cats. Its all about what you want. You can beat the chit out of aluminium but glass will ride better and be a little better in the wind. If you want to resale the boat in the boat in a couple of years I would lean a little more toward glass (how many bass guys do you see in a tin boat)? If you are going to keep her and not worry about scratches and stress cracks then tin. I like glass because of the ride, but enjoy our little tin boat too. You will pay more up front for the glass. They all have the same manufacture of motors hanging on the back, do your homework there. Oh almost forgot been a Gambler too, there pretty good boat too...........just not fast enough!! sorry Wolfemanjack, couldn't resist!
    Just not as fast as a 94 mph phoenix thats for sure....lol, but faster than your basscat
    WolfmanJack051
    Gambler Bass Boat

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know they made any other boat than Skeeter!!! Just kidding. Longliner said it pretty well, as did Jiggin15. Get on the water with people that have the style of boat your are interested in and see how you like them. That is the best way really. I like to get shallow and deep v style just wont work for me to do that, and mod v boats like mine are boarder line as well but I can still get in 2 foot of water and fish, anything shallower and your going to be kicking up mud anyways, for that get a canoe or kayak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast