Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Jig Head?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Your Favorite Jig Head?

What size and style of jigheads does everyone like to use. I am partial to the 1/4 oz. Bighead Jigs in either Chart.or Red. I also like the heads that I picked up at Crappie Camp that Canepole makes.

Lately I have been using 3/16 oz. Chartreuse heads from Crappie Pro. They have about a #2 hook in them compared to the #4 in the Bighead Jigs. I seem to be able to get the bigger hooks unhung easier than the smaller hooks by pushing them off with the tip of my pole. They also hook the fish a lot deeper in the mouth.

Right now I don't use a weedless jighead but I have tried several that I like.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Default I mold mine

I mold minnow head jigs in 1/16, and 1/32 which is what I use most of the time. Vertical jigging only.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Verticle jigger myself, I like 1/32 Blk/char, or red /char thread head Slaters

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Don't think I've mentioned this before ...

less than a hundred times :D
    but, I like these fellers:

Top jighead is a "V" wing style - bottom jighead is a brush guard style
    both are P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads
    1/32oz & 1/16oz are my preferred sizes ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used unpainted mainly round headed jigs. I've never personally observed the advantage of painted heads. I think the naturalish color of an unpainted head works with all color jigs. Weights? 1/64 - 1/8 depending on conditions and water speed.

One thing I wish some company would do is make different weight heads on a single size hook. I often want to fish very slowly and wish I had 1/64 or 1/32 round unpainted jigs with the same hooks they use for 1/16 and 1/8 jigs. Especially for bobber fishing with my yankee daves bobber. The lighter jigs allow the bobber to lay down in all conditions without weights in the upper float.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody ever take your pocket knife and scrape a shiny spot on each side your jig hear. Sometimes. especially in dingy water that little extra flash will get their attention...izzy

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

1/32 or 1/64 Less hang ups and level fall. Magnet head

Post Thanks / Like

Default I do-I do!

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    Anybody ever take your pocket knife and scrape a shiny spot on each side your jig hear. Sometimes. especially in dingy water that little extra flash will get their attention...izzy
    I keep them in small separate zip-lock bags after I mold them and they stay shiney for a while, but if they do get dingy, I take the pocketknife out and scrape the whole head before I throw it.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Grizz, Just a thought I had .Maybe you can get the size hook you want and get some round split shot without the ears and crimp it on the hook. That way you would have the weight and size hook your looking for. It may not be as pretty as a molded jig head but I think it would get the job done.
    As for me I use 1/32 and 1/16 ball heads 90% of the time. I do like the minnow heads also.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite jig is one of mine in the face of a fat crappie...oh, a white hair and red head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast