Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A little GPS help

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little GPS help

In terms that a technologically challenged person can understand would someone please explain to me exactly how to take the GPS coordinates from the MDC website and transfer them to my Humminbird GPS. I'm assuming I can download to some type of card and then insert the card into one of the two slots in the unit?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not looked at the MDC coordinates yet as a downloadable file. Depends on the type of file they have it as. You do need a SD card as that is what your unit requires to transfer or update data on it. The file extension code will tell you what formate the coordinates are in. I just got myself some Humminbird units as well, and just got them hooked up and installed today. Have not read what file type they use yet.

I am not much help I know, I am still learning these systems myself, but there are others on here that should be a long shortly to help you out. Also try posting on the Electronics and Trollin motors thread on the main page. Ask the question there and tell them what type of file the MDC site uses and I bet you money that someone will have an answer for you very shortly. Good luck to you bud.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the file extention on the humminbirds are .GPX and lowrance is .USR

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a quick search on the site and Table Rock gps cords are in .GPX format just download un-zip and load into Humminbird

Post Thanks / Like

There is a site that u can use that will transfer from one brand and make it work on another,,,,will post if i can find it.

www.gpsvisualizer.com

then click on gps babel,,,, i think this is the one
    Last edited by old fuzzy; 01-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

old fuzzy,that site worked like a charm.Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have the GPS coordinates loaded onto an SD card. I put the card into one of the slots on my unit and nothing happened. How do I view, load onto unit, etc.? I see nothing in any of the tabs that gives me any of those options. Anyone that's familiar with how these units work wanna spend the day on the water teaching a hardheaded possibly unteachable someone how to use this thing?