Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: any structure verses tree tops

Post Thanks / Like

Default any structure verses tree tops

Realy think about this personaly I don't have out any pvc or stake condos and will probably not have any as long as thair are trees. You folks with both kind of structure think about this and see if you catch as many fish around the stakes or pvc condos as you do tree tops. I am just wondering.

thanks mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

It's tough to beat a good seasoned brushpile as long as it is fairly open so that the larger crappie can get in and around the limbs. Also I've noticed if they come off the bottom 4 to 5 feet at least,they seem to hold fish better than one that has settled down tight to the bottom.

I have built about every type of structure that I have read about and caught fish on them but it's still hard to beat some of my best brushpiles!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda like brush myself. I seem to catch the larger fish on brush rather than stakes. When I build a brush pile I also drive stakes in clusters around the brush pile. This seams to attract fish of all sizes in one structure.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

The man made structure provides your own "secret" spot that can be any where on the lake. Most tree tops are close to the bank and many folks know about them. Not to say that they don't produce fish, but the have more pressure than condos placed 200 yards off the bank. Put out some structure and fish the tree tops. A little double dipping never hurts.

My 2 cents.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Willow and cypress tops sure are hard to beat and I do all my brushpile dropping during the winter months when fishing pressure is somewhat low. I can haul these out to several spots and sink them with no one knowing where I put them....well, maybe a couple, but not all.

I do like tying 2-3 gallon jugs filled with spray foam to keep the brushpiles off the bottom a foot or two and I drop 3-5 good size tree tops per brushpile. I add each year to the same pile or at least next to it.

I can usually bring out 10-20 tree tops per load...sounds alot or how in the heck does he do it. I learned this one from my cousin. I gather 3-5 trees, lay them on the ground, tie the ends together and then wrap a line around all and pull it tight with my tractor! It shrinks them down to the size of a #3 washtub and I load them into the boat. Once I reach my spot, I roll the first bunch over the side and untie the rope wrapped around them, and spring, sprang, sprung, it opens up like before they were bound! All I have to do now is tie on the jugs and weights and let it go down.

Oh, I also like using Sweetgum trees to, but the limbs sure are touch getting tackle back from...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I like wood but its a lot of work and it seems like somebody always found
    my brush piles, no matter how i tried to hide them. That's why i went to
    pvc. Just my preference, as I get older, I get lazier.

Regards

Chef

Post Thanks / Like

Default hangem

I found if I hang my tops off of trees, butt end up they last several years before they loose most of the smaller limbs. I use small black trot line cord and tie to the roots of a cypress tree(on lake bistineau in louisiana)and to the butt of the 'top', adjust the cord length to submerge the big end several feet down, tie more cord to the middle of the top and loop it several times around till you get to the 'top' of the tree, then tie a cinder block 2,3,4,6' or more feet (depends on how deep it is there) beyond the end of the 'top', pull the top away from the tree with troll motor holdin on to the cinder block, when you go as far as you can go let go. I want the top to angle away from the base of the tree. it gives em room to get under the top for shade. they lower bistineau periodically to control vegation and looking at some if my tops several years old still look pretty good (lookin with the water down of course). It's a little more work but I think it's worth it. I never tried pvc - maybe I'm missin out on something.
    as usual some lazy so-in-sos will fish your tops if they findem but they cant' catchem all

good fishin'
    Last edited by dmann436; 05-08-2006 at 05:50 AM.