Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching crappie in current

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catching crappie in current

I've caught a few crappie over the years in current in smaller rivers but was wondering what was the best way to fish brushpiles in deep water on Kentucky Lake. Do you just use a heavier sinker at the bottom and tightline over them or do you throw a jig with slip float over the top of the brush?

Some of this brush is in 30-60 ft. of water and the current is so strong that when I pitch an 1/8 oz. jig 30 ft. in front, before I know it, it is at the back of the boat. Do some crappie fight the current and stay in brushpiles or do they just prefer staying out of current whenever possible?

Do the back of bridge columns attract crappie or is this a waste of time too? Would this be a good place to sink brush, along the sides an at the back of bridge columns? I don't see too many people doing this but it may be because it is too hard and possibly too dangerous.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

30-60 fow? Now let me start by saying i don't fish kentucky lake, i am from MS, but bro i think your trying to fish way to deep. Maybe some local gurus up there can chime in and help you out. I fish a lot in the winter and the deepest i've fished is about 25 feet deep. I know they can be caught deeper but not likely where i am fishing. I also try my dangdest to find calm or slack water with very little current. Bridge collumns can be good at times more than likely these fish will be suspended. If i were you i would pay attention to my electronics and try and locate some crappie in between 12-20 fow. Just my opinion,its free so it may be worth what your paying for it.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I've been fishing in 20-26' of water and catching fish but not the quality I want. I sank some brush out in 18' out near the main channel but everytime I've tried it they have been pulling water and the current is killing me. It may be because I'm only using an 1/8 jig. I thought using a bell sinker on the end might keep me in the top of the brush but haven't tried it yet.

Kentucky Lake can get rough just from wind. Combined with current, I'm beginning to wonder if those 2 brushpiles I put out are going to do me any good. A calm day with little wind when there not pulling current this summer they may be awesome. Right now, I'm zeroing on them.

I want to tightline around the bridge columns but I'm guessing this is a good way to chew up your boat. Maybe I should be throwing a slip float and working it down the side. I dunno, don't have any experience fishing these and don't see anyone doing much of it. The trees start in 30 & 60 but come up 18-25 foot. Someone went to a lot of trouble to put something like that out.

I agree about little or no current when possible. Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Bronson sent you a pm about Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Must have still been asleep on first post, thought you were talking Barkley. We haven't been fishing anywhere near the mainlake and no where near that deep. Send me a PM if you have more questions.

Post Thanks / Like

the bell sinker idea is a good way to get your jig down. i spider rig alot and i use them below my jigs or minnows. At what depth is the thermocline during the summer on kentucky? Its useless to fish below it.Sounds like pab1981 is on to something. I fish the ten-tom waterway a lot, while our lakes aren't as big as KL, i would be willing to bet the crappie are on a similar pattern. By the way even though i've never fished KL or Barkley i traveled through land between the lakes on vacation once, abslutely beautiful country. Plan to come back again one day and bring my boat!
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a lot of guys fish around the bridges year round. Does anyone know a good website that has some info on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Current side or tail end down ?

Post Thanks / Like

A KY Lake rig would do it. I fish a 5/8oz or 3/4oz on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie can't stay out in the current without a break. They usually face into the current but will be behind some sort of cover or obstical. They wait until something comes by and then dart out and nab it and then go back to their comfort zone. No brushpile will go to waste! It may not have crappie on it but something will utilize it. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast