PDA

View Full Version : Spider rigging setups: Driftmaster vs. Cumberland Crappie

Wood_Duck
01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm gonna be ordering some new holders for spider rigging soon to use in a new boat and my little jon boat. I've used driftmaster in the past and like them but I'm considering the cumberland crappie holders due to pricing. Never used the CC stuff though. Whatcha guys think?

gabowman
01-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I dont own any or use these since I already have holders but for spider rigging these look like some good ones if your rods will work in 'em. Looks real quick and easy getting a hookset. Dont know how they compare price wise either so you'd have to check.

Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com/)

Wood_Duck
01-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Well, those are in about the same price range and I will say those looks very simple to get your rod out. Never saw/used them before though.

Dutch552
01-16-2012, 01:12 AM
I'll second the HiTek's liked above. Scott te owner can make them to whatever dimensions you need if you require a special mount or height or something. I also use Driftmaster Pros on my boat off the back. Both high quality products, but I do prfer the HiTeks for spider rigging on the front deck.

Wood_Duck
01-16-2012, 01:24 AM
any CDC discount on the HiTeks? I've done abit of quick research and may go that route. Ain't found one negative thing thus far.

Jameslin
01-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I use the hi teks as well for the past 4 yrs and haven't. Had a problem well built holder

birddog one
01-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Terry at cumberland holders are well built don't think you can go wrong with them

callshy
01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
any CDC discount on the HiTeks? I've done abit of quick research and may go that route. Ain't found one negative thing thus far.

No CDC discount. I did not build enough "fluff" in the pricing to offer discounts. Sorry.

Big H trucking
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Techs all the way hands down the best

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

wannabecrappieking
01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Cumberland crappie all the way!!

Wood_Duck
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
No CDC discount. I did not build enough "fluff" in the pricing to offer discounts. Sorry.

thanks for the reply scott, i will probably order some of your for the front pretty soon. still not decided for the rear though. any input on using the hiteks for the rear?

"G"
01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I use HiTeks front and rear.....never had a problem....they work great.

Stymie
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I have two sets of hiteks on the rear with a deeper profile for pulling jigs and crankbaits. They work well, I recommend them.

abarkley
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Got them all over the boat along with a custom built depthfinder mount for my 798. Haven't found a negative yet.

gabowman
01-16-2012, 01:54 PM
As mentioned I dont use the hitecs because I already had holders but....IMO I'd probably go with a holder that the reel can sit inside the holder on the rear if youre pulling (longlining). I know there's been alot of discussions about all the different rod holder types but that's just what I prefer. Now if I KNEW that I'd be doing nothing but tightlining it would be different and I'd go with the hitecs.

HeyCharlie
01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi- tecs front and rear-- here :)

keith dodd
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi- teks best rod holder I have ever owned!!!!

slabs101
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I dont own any or use these since I already have holders but for spider rigging these look like some good ones if your rods will work in 'em. Looks real quick and easy getting a hookset. Dont know how they compare price wise either so you'd have to check.

Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com/)
I have 16 of these on my boat
once you use hi teck holders you will wonder why you ever had the other brands
i do have the cumberland double seat holder its nice

slabs101
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
As mentioned I dont use the hitecs because I already had holders but....IMO I'd probably go with a holder that the reel can sit inside the holder on the rear if youre pulling (longlining). I know there's been alot of discussions about all the different rod holder types but that's just what I prefer. Now if I KNEW that I'd be doing nothing but tightlining it would be different and I'd go with the hitecs.
I pull with hi teck on rear never lost a rod
I can put my 10 year old son on back with 8 rods and never worry about losing a rod

HeyCharlie
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
The home page on Hi-tec's ( Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com/) ) Is about the worst pic I could or would have used!
Awesome rodholder, not show as well as it really is on web-site!

MEATGETTER
01-16-2012, 07:50 PM
HI-TEC is the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

filletfetish
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I guess the driftmasters are way out in left field! LOL

I'm a Cumberland Crappie man, myself. We all want to feel like we make the right decisions, so there are obviously more Hi-Tek owners out there.

My question is....who's had them both?

wannabecrappieking
01-16-2012, 08:26 PM
I have been fortunate enough to use hi tec,driftmaster, and Cumberland. Its all depends on personal preference. I think the driftmaster and Cumberlan crappie are a lot sturdier. And I love the way the driftmaster and Cumberland Crappie holders seat the rods. But hands down the Cumberland crappie rodholders are easier to adjust on the fly.

slabdaddy
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Driftmaster for me. Have owned driftmasters for over 20 yrs and have no complaints or reason to try any other holders. Driftmasters definitely the best!!!

becks
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I use Cumberland Crappies double seat no drill spider rig setup and like it alot. They were great to deal with also.

callshy
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
The home page on Hi-tec's ( Home (http://www.hitekstuff.com/) ) Is about the worst pic I could or would have used!
Awesome rodholder, not show as well as it really is on web-site!

Thanks, I will work on it.

the crappie soldier
01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
You can always send them back if they aren't what you looking for. No problem with that.

HeyCharlie
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks, I will work on it.

Its just the home page pic that needs change (IMHO) not as clear as your other pic's. (home page should draw you in- 2 friends didn't like first pic but when I showed them more pics on your site they said- well that looks different!)

CrappieG3
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Cumberland Crappie no doubt about it, you can't go wrong with them.
Price, quality and service!

filletfetish
01-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I will agree with Cumberlands ability to tweek and totally change your set up on the fly. Nothing better than not losing valuable fishing time....

Roper Outdoors
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I would say Driftmaster. BUT it depends on what your going to be doing with your rod holders. If your going to be pulling, trolling cranks from the side or spider rigging then you have to pick the rod hold that will fit your way of fishing. Driftmaster makes all types of holders for all the techniques i just said. Now if your looking at the price..... I know what I'm buying is durable, has a limited life time warranty on it and has been tested and fished with by thousands of people. NOTE: You can see Driftmaster rod holders on some of these saltwater fishing shows and especially on the striper guide boats. If those guys use it (and we all know those fish are bigger and stronger than a crappie, bass, catfish and maybe even sturgeon) then they are worth the try.

TDHcrappiemaster
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Well as always we have the great debate of who has the best rod holder on the market.
I have used a couple different brands myself but I did not use Hi-tec so I have no opinion on their product. I can however say that Cumberland Crappie Rod holders are well built, Easy to adjust, easy to remove and can be used either in the front, Side or back of the boat with out worrying about losing a rod.

Terry is great to deal with as well. Like Crappie Soldier said if they aren't what you want then you can return them no questions asked. You can't beat that for customer service.
Good luck with what ever choice you make....
Tom

Riverc
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Cumberland Crappie no doubt about it, you can't go wrong with them.
Price, quality and service!

I have the Cumberland Rod Holders and happy with the quality,price and service also.

Y-SLABS
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
WOW, this is like having all your buddies pick your date:) and then run when she don,t do what you need.:juggle

HI-TECHS FOR ME ALSO

Wood_Duck
01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Okay, one more question for you guys. I'm going with HiTeks. For the time being I'll be using them on the front of a Nitro that only has room for one person. Should I go ahead and put a set or just get a single 4-rod holder? Just wonder if I get on some fish in a big bite 8 rods would be abit much to deal with. I know when I've had 4 rods on my jonboat and got on some it gets hectic.

badbrad
01-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I'd buy two rod holders so later if you decide to buy an add-a-seat device you can fish two people from the front. If fishing by yourself, you can fish four or six rods whatever you can manage. I've got a 1991 bumble bee with an add-a-seat and can fish two from the front no problem. Thinking you can do the same easily from your Nitro platform.

t.slabseeker
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I have Cc and love them.

Stymie
01-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I'd get two sets. You don't have to use all 8 holders if you don't want to. But once you get used to it, you probably will.

I've seen guys out with 8 out the front and 8 on each side.

HeyCharlie
01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I have hi-tecs 2 front (8) , 2 back (8). When I am looking for them I use all 8 on front but when you get into them I will use 2-3 -- Depends how busy you get!
Most guys I fish with don't use all 8 in back but the will put rods on both sides while slow trolling.

ScottV
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I have four sets of Hi-Tecs on my boat and use them from spider rigging to longlining to pulling crankbaits. I love them.

thankfull
01-30-2012, 05:36 PM
I have used both styles for years, but 2 yrs ago I sold my old ones and went with 4 of the 4 rod set ups from Hitec and wouldn't go back to either of the others.

lcookie
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I have never had anything but driftmaster and I love them. They are bar none as sturdy as they come. Little hard to adjust on the fly but once you get it all set up you don't really need to make adjustments. I have 4 sets (2 sets of 5 up front and 2 sets of 4 out the back on my boat. I use them for tight lining all the way around or just up front and long lining out the back. I also pull cranks out the back too for bass and catfish. I have extra mounts set up on the side rails so I can fish off the sides of the boat when tied up on a bridge or anchored down. I also use the driftmaster striper holders when I am searching for something big.