Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beginner needs help...........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner needs help...........

I need someone to walk me thru from A-Z, on how to catch crappie with minnows. Do you just have a minnow on a hook, nothing else. Any tips on how to reel it in? Good way to put it on a hook, etc. etc. Very very new to crappie fishing, pretty new to just fishing in general. Thanks.
    GO BENGALS!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What part of the world are you fishing in? Lake or river? Boat or shore? I personally have always used a jig and minnow with a bobber. But these fine fisher people here have taught me that I need to be more versatile and change my methods when my way doesn't work.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

skiphick Guest

i found minnows work best on murky lakes. i just stick the hook through the eye so the minnow lives longer. just cast out and let the sucker swim a little, retrieve a small part of line after about a minute, then repeat. i have caught some nice slabs here in missouri using this method. i hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys. Im fishing on the shore, on a 18 acre lake in Western Kentucky. For some reason I cant get them to bite on minnows, but have caught some on Canadian Night Crawlers. Thanks again.
    GO BENGALS!

Post Thanks / Like

the best way to fish a minnow from shore is to use a slip bobber. first slide a bobber stop on the line. next goes a small glass bead, the slip bobber, enough split shot to sink 3/4 of the bobber, then a hook or small jighead. hook minnow thru back, eyes, or lips. set depth by sliding bobber stop up or down line..check different depths. retrieve very slowly, lettin the minnow sink as much as the stop will let it. when it goes under, give him a second or two, wind down til rod starts to bend...set hook, reel him in!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow You might find some interesting info ......

in these threads:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ghlight=socket

HOW you use a minnow depends on WHERE you're putting it, WHAT equipment you're fishing with, and the technique you are using.
    Your question is way too broad to cover in a few answers, or in one thread. I'd advise you to read through these threads, and ask specific questions as you gain experience or have problems with certain techniques.
    Start simple .... using the equipment you already have ... and learn/try a new technique on each future trip. Learn WHERE the Crappie should be, at the time, and under the conditions of that time. How deep they should be, and around what cover, will determine your most productive techniques.
    We can't make you a Crappie fishing guru in a day, or in a few posts ..... but, hang with us, and read the postings & ask questions about specific things that you don't quite grasp -- and we'll definitely make you a better than average Crappie angler, in the coming months. ...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I won't hold it against you that you are a Bungles fan, ooops, Bengles fan, But from a Steelers fan...(oh, by the way WE-DAY)lol... If you get tired of carrying around the minnow bucket, try using jigs, roadrunners, or small Rebel Crayfish. I used to be a strictly minnow fisherman when searching for crappie until my dad asked me if I wanted to catch bigger fish. I switched to satisfy him and I never regreted it. Don't get me wrong, I will still use minnows when the conditions call for it but I have never been one that can sit still and wait. I have to go searching for them. Well, good luck and remember the ribbing is all just in fun. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the money, a real good investment would be to go on a guided trip and ask a lot of questions. If you have a good guide, you should learn a lot!