Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie fishing at Patoka Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Crappie fishing at Patoka Lake

Well while ya'll are playing around making attractors I'll be out fishing catching more crappie off of the cover I found in Patoka as long as the snow stays away. Cleaned 17 sunday. I hope the wind quits sometime soon. Sure am tired of fighting it everytime I go out this time of year.

Moose I ran around sunday looking at potential spots for my next bunch of cover. Found what I think is an excellent spot. Hardly any cover in the area what so ever. 15' to 25' in this one area. This area is about 200 yards off of an outside bend in the channel with a ditch running out of it. Where the ditch comes out of the channel there is a bunch of stumps and trees sticking up off of the bottom. I found this place several years ago but haven't fished it. I didn't forget about it either. Any amount of wind and boats would make this an exciting place to try and fish. Yes it's also on the main lake.

My son left for Norfork sunday morning. It was great having him back around for a few days. He gets 9 days home at Christmas.

E-mail is working now.

Someday I got to make the TeeZur tournament. Mighty long way from here. :D

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am not putting the boat away yet. I am still planning on coming up to Patoka Lake to fish. Let me know if you are ready to put out some brush piles. I broke down and got me some warm cloths that fit and think I can handle the cold now. As long as it's not raining. I also picked up some of those chemical hand warmer packets to try out.

I didn't catch anything Saturday but still have fun. I learned my way around Cane Poles summer home and know how to get from the Mansard Island Resort to Cane Poles Place and back.

I learned that wind is the master of KY lake and to not fish sulfur creek when the wind blows out of the NE OR NW.

I know where to launch from next time there is another tournament. I also think that next time I need to do some prefishing and find some brush piles. I also would use Pat Hahs Kentucy Hydrografxs Digtital and Sidescanning Maps of Big Sandy. Can't wait until he get the Big Sandy South section of KY lake ready.

Good to see you were catching fish. I saw our favorite Patoka Lake Guide at the Tournament I know that no one was rocking your boat other than the winds. JK. We fish one of the spots that Tim likes to fish and the last few times we got there first.

Larry you must come down next year. Your boat can handle KY lake a lot better than mine and you have everything necessary other than the spots. But we can figure that out with the help of KY Hydrografx maps. They show the exact spot drop off and even the stuff on the bottom of the lake. The sidescans even show RICHARD WILLIAM's brush piles.

We had a lot of fun and I know that you would have enjoyed the fishing and the fish fry.

BTW I won a 10ft Richard Williams Graphite Crappie pole and used it yesterday for the first time. It casts that Ironsilk 8lb test line great. I used a new TeeZur Crappie Jig that I got from Jackie Summers TeeZur Trailer and tried it out yesterday. I must have got the 3/16 oz jig head instead of the 3/32oz one as it sunk my little bobber when I tested it in the kitchen sink. I had to use my larger bobbers with these jigs but that worked out ok. They allow me to cast out further with the heavier jig head and the larger float. I am going to call Jackie or email her and order some of the smaller jig head with the gold hooks. You would not believe the color selection she has and the different types and sizes of jig head and jig bodies. I opted for the chartruse colored minnow heads with gold hooks. Size 1/0 or so. They should work well on the bigger fish. For the shy fish I am sticking with the smaller jigs that sink slower which is why I want to get some of the 3/32 oz sizes. I need one that is just slightly heavier than the 1/16 oz jigs that I have. I may try to drill a hole in the TeeZur jig head and add the fishing line to make them weedless. But the paint job is so nice that I hate to drill into it. These jigs are some of the best looking jig head that I have ever seen. The eyes are perfect and look so real. I will show you the ones that I got if I don't lose them first.

Those oldham jig head that you gave to me last time all fell out of my Lifejackets pocket when they fell out of the plactic thing. I didn't know that they were not sealed inside the plactic package and that the top was still open. I started finding them all over the place one day. I finally figured out where they were coming from when I saw several hanging from my life jackets pocket. Those pockets are made out of a mess type material and the jigs were falling out of the pocket on the deck of my boat and onto the concrete at the boat lauch ramp. I recoved all of them and man do they work good. I caught two crappie in a row and both hits on the jig resulted in solid hookups. One fish had the jig stuck so solid in it's upper jaw that I had to almost get the forcepts out to extract the hook. the wire works better than my fishing line. It bends out of the way easier and seemed to work great.

I wore my new insulated coveralls over some new Wrangler Camo Jeans that were insualted with thinsulate ultra fibers. I felt like the Pillsbury Dough Boy though. But I didn't get cold. We didn't start fishing until late as we sat around and had a good breakfast at Cane Poles. We had scrambled eggs, country baccon and sausage and lots of hot coffee. Cane Pole's place is right on the lake at West Sandy Creek part of Big Sandy on KY Lake. He is only about 15 mintues away from the Mansard Island Resort by land and a short hop by water. Once I get a way to water proof myself I can go fishing in the rain. I need a new boat though as the wood in my old fishermarine is about shot. I spent two days cleaning the water out of my boat and putting electric heaters on it to dry out the flooring and then proceeded not to secure the two minnow buckets before I took off from Sulfur Creeks Boat Ramp and headed towards the Old Pump House boat ramp. But I missed a turn and ended up getting lost. When we stopped to look at the map and turnaround the guy I was fishing with found the minnows scattered all over the bottom of my boat. LOL What a sight that was. We gathered up the minnows and stuck them back in the minnow bucket and then when we got back to the weigh in I found some water and put new water in the minnow buckets. I brought those minnows home and stuck them in my crappie aquarium. The crappie like the rosey reds.

Good to see your email is working again.

I have to go across town to clean out my mom's gutters today. She has a yard full of 30 year old maple trees and they area surrounding her roof. I am going to take the leaf blower out there and clean out the leaves from here gutters. It's a bad job but someone has to do it? She is too old to get up on that roof so I end up doing that three or four times year. Wish all those maple leaves would fall at one time.

See you at Patoka Lake soon I hope.

Glad that you got to see your son. Good to hear that he is doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    Well while ya'll are playing around making attractors I'll be out fishing catching more crappie off of the cover I found in Patoka as long as the snow stays away. Cleaned 17 sunday. I hope the wind quits sometime soon. Sure am tired of fighting it everytime I go out this time of year.

Moose I ran around sunday looking at potential spots for my next bunch of cover. Found what I think is an excellent spot. Hardly any cover in the area what so ever. 15' to 25' in this one area. This area is about 200 yards off of an outside bend in the channel with a ditch running out of it. Where the ditch comes out of the channel there is a bunch of stumps and trees sticking up off of the bottom. I found this place several years ago but haven't fished it. I didn't forget about it either. Any amount of wind and boats would make this an exciting place to try and fish. Yes it's also on the main lake.

My son left for Norfork sunday morning. It was great having him back around for a few days. He gets 9 days home at Christmas.

E-mail is working now.

Someday I got to make the TeeZur tournament. Mighty long way from here. :D

Larry
    Regards,

Moose1am