Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two piece vs. one piece ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Two piece vs. one piece ?

Are there any disadvantages to two piece poles compared to one piece ? Mainly concerning strength, and refering to Ugly Stick 6"6" MH used for "cats" in the 4-12 lbs range.( I know this is the crappie forum, but more people here :D ) They make both one and two piece, Wally World has the two piece for $28 , to order a one piece it'd be $40. Is a one piece strength worth $12 more ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have three Sabre Rod, 8' 6" long, two spinning and one casting. All of them at two piece. I use them for salmon fishing the rivers in the North West, Canada and Alaska. Salmon are strong and good fighters, add the current of the rivers your in for a battle. I have had no problems with using a two piece rod. Plus they break down for nicely for shipping. I hope this helps.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Kyron4, I have to agree with wrwest. I always thought that 2 piece rods were inferior until I took up flyfishing. I have caught many trout on lightweight,(2wt. and 3wt.), flyrods...and as wr said throw in the current, and have had no problems with 2 piece rods. However, I still purchase 1 piece bass rods...just a personal preference. If storage is an issue, get the 2 piece.
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like I am odd man out again! I like the one piece rods for a few different reasons.

1. I feel that some sensitivity can be lost in a 2 piece (could be all in my head)

2. The end of the rod always seems to come off while fishing for awhile and I find that very annoying! ( I always glue the 2 piece rods that I have together)

I know that some may argue the sensitivity issue and that is ok we will agree to disagree on that one but no one who has fished much with a 2 piece can honestly say that that rod end doesn't come off at times. For longer rods such as trolling rods or "dipping" rods I call them of course thay must me 2 piece but I just don't see the need in a 2 piece casting rod for example unless you are buying one to throw in the trunk of your car and fish during an out of town trip. But, like I say, to each thier own!

Just my 2 cents!
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Been fishing for crappie for over 50 years and found my new favorite rod this year. It is a 2-piece B&M "float n fly" smallmouth and crappie rod. After only a week or using it and catching crappie, bluegill, largemouth, sand bass, and channel cat on it I ordered another. I have a bunch of rods that cost much more but this is my favorite. I don't own any B&M stock either (or for that matter any other B&M gear)
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I'll go one further. I have a Leeda 13ft THREE piece rod that I brought over from England. It is VERY sensative. Granted it is used soley for float (bobber) fishing from the bank. BUT its had numerous carp from 1lb upto 15lb in England and Cats upto 7lb since being in the States.

The tip is that sensetive that I can free line with a running lead and use the tip to spot "pull around" bites and "drop back" bites.

Again this only used when I fish "English" style from the bank. Ie Groundbait (chum made from stale bread and various flavourings). Fish over that with wax worm, maggots, mealworms etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 11 ft. 2 piece Buck's Graphite Jig Poles and have replaced the tip sections many times over the years. Always manage to break a few every year. Some of my Buck's are so old that they still have the sliding ring seats!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Got a couple of those, myself ....

Quote Originally Posted by IkenI
    Been fishing for crappie for over 50 years and found my new favorite rod this year. It is a 2-piece B&M "float n fly" smallmouth and crappie rod. After only a week or using it and catching crappie, bluegill, largemouth, sand bass, and channel cat on it I ordered another. I have a bunch of rods that cost much more but this is my favorite. I don't own any B&M stock either (or for that matter any other B&M gear)
    Field tested the prototype for BnM ... and still sending in reports on them. They are nice rods, aren't they ??!! I've got a Mitchell 308X on one, and a Shakespeare Alpha XT1000 ultralite spinning reel on the other ... both reels, even though they're very different in weight, balance well with the rod. Most of the time I cast with them, but have even been known to "shoot docks" with them :D So far, I've only caught Crappie on them. But, I know it won't be long before I add a few more species to that list ... and I fully expect the rod to be up to the task. I even got to use them with a "float'n'fly" setup (bobber/jig) on my most recent trip, and caught several nice Crappie with it !! .......... luck2ya ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that looks like my kind of rod, and only $46. Just the right length too.

As far as the 1 or 2 piece issue, I use 2 piece rods for the ease of driving them around. I'm sure that 1 piece rods are a little more sensitive, but if you get a quality 2 piece they are very sensitive. If I fished in one place and kept all the poles in the boat I would have more 1 pieces just because I'd like to test them and see if it makes any difference.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I own way to many of each. As far as dependability and sensitivity. In a good quality rod, i've never had any trouble in either department. Now i've had some 5 doller specials that the (tip half) has beat the jig the water...izzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast