Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on getting sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Question advice on getting sponsors

me and my dad have been fishing crappie tournaments in ohio for about 3 years now and we are finally getting the hang of it. we placed forth this october on our home lake tourny and got some money for the first time. we also finished 8 overall. eventually we may fish more across the midwest and maybe towards tenessee too.
    So we need to get some sponsors, it would be nice to get some free jigs, line, rods, etc. every once in a while instead of spending 200 bucks everytime we go to the outdoors store. and we like the idea of having the team "jerseys".
    being a youth (15yrs old), is there any companies that tend to sponsor youths more?
    How do we get the sponsors?!?!?!

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can not answer that ? But i do want to wish you the best of luck young man. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

Win tournaments, multiple tournaments, the rule of thumb is, what can you do for a company that sponsors you, not vice versa. That's how it works with national sponsors, being a youngun' there might be some guys on here that'll help you out with smaller stuff though, can't hurt to ask!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

x2 kingkrappie

Post Thanks / Like

I've never gotten sponsors in the fishing industry before, so hopefully folks with more experience will chime in here. But I have gotten/given sponsorships in other industries. It's a lot like getting a job. Put together a solid resume; who we are, where we're from, what experience we have; who can vouch for us. What tournaments we've been in and what tournaments we plan for the future.

Most important is that it always helps to understand your customer's (sponsor's) business. How much line do they sell? How much of it is to crappie fisherman? What are their strong/weak areas of the country? Who are their closest competitors? If you understand their business, you'll be heads and shoulders above anyone else who's pitching them for sponsorship. If you don't know, just ask. People love to talk about their business, and there's nothing more impressive than someone really wants to know about it.

Then there's "what we'll do for you". Staying with the example of fishing line: we'll host a series of videos on knot tying (using your line of course and telling folks why it's so great for this particular knot); we'll put on a youth fishing clinic sponsored by the line company; etc.

Most important, is "what we won't do for you." We won't embarrass your company - we won't lose our temper, storm out of a tournament, use foul language, etc. while we're wearing your company's logo. We will always represent your company in a way that makes you proud. At your age, maturity will always be a question/concern, so put it on the table, make promises and live up to them.

Don't overlook the possibility of your age as an advantage. The media is always looking for a unique angle to a story...and young people competing/winning is always an interesting story. Every story includes a photo and with the sponsors' logos on your jersey, they get more publicity.

Whether a company gives you a sponsorship or not, make sure to ask them who else you should talk to. They all know each other and will know who is increasing their sponsorship and who is not. If you're sincere (that's where understanding their business goes a long way) they'll want to help you.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've have some big name sponsor in the bird dog world and they DO NOT CARE what I've done they want to know what I can do for them. I personaly would look to get on pro staff first with a rep goup that has the brands of rods,line,lures,clothes,reels,knives (you get the idea) that you use start doing pro-mos for them at your local BP or cables, mills fleet farm or any other place they ask you to go.Take that money put it in your fishing account and work your way up. Like the last post always look the part listen to ever story, joke like its the first time you've ever heard it. Always dress the part, act the part and never ever say a bad thing about anyone (product)else. It will come back to bite you. This is a very small industry and ever one knows ever one. Look out side of the fishing world also . If you would like more help send me a PM.
    Bird Dog

Post Thanks / Like

You have to have some wins or high finishes in some Southern Tournaments besides wins in Ohio. You have to prove that you can have a good showing in a variety of places and different weather conditions. Not all Tournaments are held in perfect weather. Most tournaments are held in the South so you have to be able to compete there also. Good luck if you want to try to tournament fish for a living. Try guiding for a while and if you can catch fish each time you go out. Take Pictures of your clients and there catches and that will help impress the manufactures along with testamonials from clients. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
    I've never gotten sponsors in the fishing industry before, so hopefully folks with more experience will chime in here. But I have gotten/given sponsorships in other industries. It's a lot like getting a job. Put together a solid resume; who we are, where we're from, what experience we have; who can vouch for us. What tournaments we've been in and what tournaments we plan for the future.

Most important is that it always helps to understand your customer's (sponsor's) business. How much line do they sell? How much of it is to crappie fisherman? What are their strong/weak areas of the country? Who are their closest competitors? If you understand their business, you'll be heads and shoulders above anyone else who's pitching them for sponsorship. If you don't know, just ask. People love to talk about their business, and there's nothing more impressive than someone really wants to know about it.

Then there's "what we'll do for you". Staying with the example of fishing line: we'll host a series of videos on knot tying (using your line of course and telling folks why it's so great for this particular knot); we'll put on a youth fishing clinic sponsored by the line company; etc.

Most important, is "what we won't do for you." We won't embarrass your company - we won't lose our temper, storm out of a tournament, use foul language, etc. while we're wearing your company's logo. We will always represent your company in a way that makes you proud. At your age, maturity will always be a question/concern, so put it on the table, make promises and live up to them.

Don't overlook the possibility of your age as an advantage. The media is always looking for a unique angle to a story...and young people competing/winning is always an interesting story. Every story includes a photo and with the sponsors' logos on your jersey, they get more publicity.

Whether a company gives you a sponsorship or not, make sure to ask them who else you should talk to. They all know each other and will know who is increasing their sponsorship and who is not. If you're sincere (that's where understanding their business goes a long way) they'll want to help you.

Good luck!
    This response hits the nail on the head! Being a custom fishing jersey manufacturer myself I work with customers sponsors all day long. The guys/gals who we work with day in and day out not only are great PEOPLE, but they have busted their butt to EARN their sponsorship. My advice to you would be to 1st look local for sponsorship.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the sponsor but good to hear about you and your dad fishing with one another, great famialy time. try and keep having fun with dad and try not to take the fun out of fishing.Wish I had my dad still alive to fish with.Good luck Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

All you have to do is ask...if no go to the next one...foot work will fill your needs.

You can sale your boat and truck by the inch For signs for sponsors.

All you have to do is sale your self and ask.
    Learning as you go will become easier month by month until you can be the one telling howto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast