Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Must be getting OLD!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Must be getting OLD!

Some where you guys said that you guys was catching fish by dropping the jig to the bottom and slow rolling it up and the fish would hit it. I replied that I never heard of someone doing it till I read it on here and asked for pointers on how to do it. (speed, start stop?)
    I hope this is not things to come in getting old!

Post Thanks / Like

i usely find the depth that fish are bitting on truman its usely between 10 and 12 ft down so i let out 13ft of line take left hand grab line in front of the reel with left hand and pull the line to the left real slow and that brings the jig up plus you can feel the small bites cuz ur fingers are on the line you can usely judge the depth by how far you have pulled the line with your had to the left thats what i do (i dont hardly ever reel when dipping trees unless i hook a goodin hope this help
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieslab thats what i was doing yesterday on LOZ. As far as the speed of retrieve goes I let the fish dictate that.Yesterday it was as slow as you could bring yourself to reel,Other times they want it alittle faster. I always give the jig alittle twitch while retrieving,dont know that it helps it just habit for me.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

go slow slower and like Hogster said sometimes they want it a tad faster,,, I always stop evey once in awhile and hold it still, sometimes the will just tug the end of the rod down and you will not feel the bite, but you can see it, got to watch the end of the rod all the time,,, I keep a black marker in my shirt pocket, when they bite I mark the depth, on the line, and sure enough they will hit pretty close to the marked spot.... good luck

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it the same as others above. Before it drop my jig in I pull the line to the left with the rod straight up and see how far my left hand is from the reel to have my jig hanging at ten ft. That way I know when I hit the magic ten ft mark. I will then hold it at ten ft for a few seconds before lifting it up and moving to next tree or if it is slow I may drop it back down to 12-13 ft and bring it up again. Very effective on Truman.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the way I learned to catch crappie or any other pan fish when I was a just a pup..Still works in my old age now..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys maybe thats why I s*ck at jig fishing. I will try it for sure! I have no confidence in fishing with jigs and need help and lessons to learn how to fish with jigs. I usually fish with shinners.

Post Thanks / Like

It may help your confidence to put a shiner on a jig too. I always go a half reel and stop half reel and stop about five second intervals this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been just dropping to the bottom and picking it up about 6in.and hold it still ,if no bites start slowly reel in it up at about a ft. at a time and hold it still again till you find the fish,fishing bluffs mostly and a weedless jighead sure helps.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been fishing in the deeper water around 35' deep and probably 25-30' deep here lately for our fish. The way I go at it is to simply drop to the bottom and reel it back up. Like others are saying, there is a sweet spot in terms of depth, however that's not to say you won't find one following it down or up so keep your reeling speed until it if fully retrieved. Just my opinion though. Went out Tuesday morning with 2 others and I must say, it was the worst day I have had in a long time!! The other two were catching fish while I was only picking up one here and there...Well, I have gotten so use to reeling it as slow as I can stand it, like Hogster1 stated, and they wanted it a bit faster that day. I started reeling a hair faster and started picking up just as many fish as them. I think this is a technique that you will pick up fast... It seems everyone has their own technique, so it doesn't have to be perfect lol. I never stop reeling: drop to the bottom continuously and retrieve continously. If I get a nibbler, I'll stop and let the line drop another foot or two and retrieve. Sometimes they'll hit it again on the way back by.