Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 11/15/04

Post Thanks / Like

Default 11/15/04

Windy! Temps were warmer and the sun came out a little while so we took the boat for a ride. No bites on minnows or jigs. We completely struck out.
    Jim and Tammy

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel lonely, most of us have done the same lately. Seems they are in transition between the fall and winter patterns. We can find them, but very few bites if any at all. Maybe next time? Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default This evenings catch

Hey Guys.....I just got up from the table with a fine mess of fried crappie. Got back from the hunting camp Sunday and decided to go see what was happening out at the lake. The bit was slow with most of the 18 caught on jig followed by a yellow crappie nibble. Without the nibble, nothing.

I was wondering why the difference in today and 4 days ago. Turns out that my underwater cam showed the sub-surface temp dropping from 66 to 68 down to 62 across the board. I know this doesn't seem like much, but for some reason the fish sure slowed down. Bet when they get used to this temp they will start right back up.

Anyway, I got started this afternoon around 3 and left at 4:30 with 18. Nothing over half a pound and all caught on a pearl fin-s-shad tipped with a yellow crappie nibble and fished around 15 feet.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Hey Guys.....I just got up from the table with a fine mess of fried crappie. Got back from the hunting camp Sunday and decided to go see what was happening out at the lake. The bit was slow with most of the 18 caught on jig followed by a yellow crappie nibble. Without the nibble, nothing.

I was wondering why the difference in today and 4 days ago. Turns out that my underwater cam showed the sub-surface temp dropping from 66 to 68 down to 62 across the board. I know this doesn't seem like much, but for some reason the fish sure slowed down. Bet when they get used to this temp they will start right back up.

Anyway, I got started this afternoon around 3 and left at 4:30 with 18. Nothing over half a pound and all caught on a pearl fin-s-shad tipped with a yellow crappie nibble and fished around 15 feet.

Hey, Tommy.......When it comes to fishing, I think you could fall into a pig stye and come out shiney white and smelling like a rose! :D lol! Man, I would think of 18 crappie as a banner day this year. Seriously, I'm glad you didn't get skunked, as I have in the last few trips. Hey, that fin-s-shad seems to be your best offer lately, I hope it holds up for you. Where did you buy yours?

Dave's 35 Evinrude cratered last week and it looks like it will take some extensive work to get it back in the water. I think either the wrist pin or a connecting rod gave up. He came across a 25 hp. Evinrude and we're working to get it going as a substitute.....got it running but the yoke in the prop is slipping so badly it won't even push the boat to plane out. The Evinrude props have always been weak on the earlier models, but Dave is searching for another.

Did you see any good deer? The guys at the Lucky 13 camp in Ashland haven't gotten a buck yet. (My old hunting club) The biologist told them they will have to take 16 does this year. Most of the hunters are "old school" and don't like to take a doe out, but there is a buck to doe ratio of about 10 does or more to 1 buck, and they wonder why the bucks don't respond to rattling. With that many females the bucks don't have to compete to get does. So far, I think they've taken 3 or 4.

Best to ya, Tommy....keep yankin' 'em out!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill....I may be able to help with a 35 Evinrude. I have a power head down here and know where another complete motor is for 450 dollars. They are early 80 models. If it will help I can put him in touch with the man that has them.

We are doing our doe killing down at our camp right now. Each member (and we have 30 now), has to kill 2 does ever year, and you can kill 2 8 points, then the next buck has to be a 9 or better. So far the only buck that has bitten the bullet has been a spike killed by accident. I think we have only killed 4 does so far and have plenty more that need to go. I have a friend who shot at a pretty good 8 point this weekend, but somehow missed it. At least we hope he did. Never found any sign of it being hit.
    Our main concern right now is our bear population. It seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. Mark, the guy that fishes with me a lot, had a stand that had a brace nearly chewed into by one, and they have wrecked all of our feeders but one. I could smell one at my stand while walking in Saturday morning. Talk about make the hair stand up on back of your neck. LOL
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Hey Bill....I may be able to help with a 35 Evinrude. I have a power head down here and know where another complete motor is for 450 dollars. They are early 80 models. If it will help I can put him in touch with the man that has them.

We are doing our doe killing down at our camp right now. Each member (and we have 30 now), has to kill 2 does ever year, and you can kill 2 8 points, then the next buck has to be a 9 or better. So far the only buck that has bitten the bullet has been a spike killed by accident. I think we have only killed 4 does so far and have plenty more that need to go. I have a friend who shot at a pretty good 8 point this weekend, but somehow missed it. At least we hope he did. Never found any sign of it being hit.
    Our main concern right now is our bear population. It seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. Mark, the guy that fishes with me a lot, had a stand that had a brace nearly chewed into by one, and they have wrecked all of our feeders but one. I could smell one at my stand while walking in Saturday morning. Talk about make the hair stand up on back of your neck. LOL

Tommy......Thanks for the offer; if you would send a ph# I'd like to talk to your Evinrude man. He might be able to provide parts for both motors.

We don't have bears here, but the feral hogs are taking over.....eating all the acorns, running the deer off from the feeders, just being general nuisances. They are as wary as the deer, maybe more; the guys haven't been able to pop many of them. They learn quick, and tear up feeders, too.

Thanks again for the Evinrude info.