Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best time to plan a trip to Talquin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best time to plan a trip to Talquin

My wife and I are thinking about a trip to warmer weather. Whats normally the best time to fish Talquin between now and mid March

Post Thanks / Like

whenever there is snow on the ground in KY or its cold
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    whenever there is snow on the ground in KY or its cold
    ^^^^What he said^^^^..The past couple of years was slow for Talquin during January and February compared to the past 5 years. We had some really cold weather the last 2 years and I am guessing that is what slowed them down. This year, the bite at Talquin has been pretty darn good since November...Like any other lake some days are better than others, but I would say anywhere from mid to late February on thru April should be the best time to be there...Right during the spawn...But if you just have the itch bad enough, I have seen some pretty good fishing there in January-early February in the past...Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

January through March is good. Like TNT said the last 2 years have been strange and cold then windy as hell in april. I am sold on the October and November fall bite. The fish are deeper and yes bigger. Dress warm and fish hard in the spring and you can bag a limit every day. Its got to be better than snow in KY./ babywhale

Post Thanks / Like

Time and time again I see folks drive great distances to fish Talquin for two days and go home disappointed. You never know when the wind,cld and rain may set in. Plan on at least four days and you should get two good days. The fish are there no matter what month. The local boys will put you on fish but plan to stay long enough to catch a couple of days good fishing.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people the full moon in March is one of the best times to fish Talquin other than Oct-Dec. Last year May was Excellent with some good size fish caught in 12 -15 foot of water. Some like to combine bream fishing and crappie fishing.......usually have to wait till april or later for bream.......and the Crappie should still be biting.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! sounds just like on Ky Lake or any where I suppose they bite every day and catching depends on finding them and figuring out how to catch. taking time to do this is the trick.
    If we get to fish Talquin it will be for 5 or 6 days.
    Hate to leave Ky right now the bite is really good but too cold for my wife.

Post Thanks / Like

like any lake you never know , best to give your self at least one week any time you go just to allow for weather and learnining new water

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on spending that much time I strongly suggest a guide for at least one of the first days. The best guide hands down is Litewirehooker,worth every penny and by weeks end you'll be catching fish like a local. HOOKER not only will train,teach.educate you but entertain you too....

Post Thanks / Like

What Rawhide said.