Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Nose Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Nose Crappie

Are these fish rare. I caught on the other day and threw it back cuz it was only about 7in. That was my first time catching one. Its a beautiful fish, I tell you the work of God's hands amaze me.

I was skeptical at throwing it back because I may never catch another one?
    So I ask if you find one will you more than likely find more?

Have a blessed weekend.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sometimes

I don't know how many you'll catch in Alabama, but here in La, I catch about 1 out of every 3 trips or so. I believe some of the members in Ark catch more than that. You're right; they're beautiful to look at.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Not really "rare" ...

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    Are these fish rare. I caught on the other day and threw it back cuz it was only about 7in. That was my first time catching one. Its a beautiful fish, I tell you the work of God's hands amaze me.

I was skeptical at throwing it back because I may never catch another one?
    So I ask if you find one will you more than likely find more?

Have a blessed weekend.
    but they are a feisty little critter !! Wait until you have one around a pound or so grab your bait :D They're just a Black Crappie, with a genetic "birthmark", that originated in a small section of the White River in Arkansas. They're used as a stock fish, because biologists can easily tell them apart from the current resident population ... and gauge the biomass population & angler predation rates (and all that scientific stuff that biologists do).
    The "experts" will tell you that they act/react no different than a regular Black Crappie ..... wish I had one of those "experts" with me, when I've caught some of Watts Bar's Blacknose :D -- I'd like to see them explain why "they" pull drag, when others of the same size don't ... or why they occasionally jump clear out of the water (even had one jump clear across the front of the boat, one time ) and the "others" don't !! I've had more than one occurrance of both of these actions (drag pulling/jumping) ... and every one of them was done by a Blacknose !!

You did a good thing, releasing that 7" Blacknose. Wait until they get past the 10" mark, before considering keeping one. Maybe then, you'll have some of the same "experiences" with them, as I have ......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I wonder if this "Black Nose Crappie" is the Same one we catch sometimes on other lakes when we Fish Tournaments, Not a White Crappie & Not Really a Black Crappie , Almost looks like it is Mixed up with something else BUT no Doubt it is MOSTY a Crappie !! I Wish I had a Pic!! When I say "we" I dont think Me or My Partner have ever caught one before BUT I have seen my buddys have them & would either show them to us at the Landing or would tell us about them at the hotel ....

Post Thanks / Like

Here in TN, the TWRA has been stocking them in a few lakes. Center Hill and Normandy that I know of. Some of my fellow vols may know of a few more. I don't think my home lake, J Percy Priest has been stocked with any. I have caught a few jet black crappie lately, even their lips were black. I am not good enough to tell the difference. They all look the same with batter on them.
    Does anyone know of a site with good pictures to differentiate just FMI?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/100_1590.jpg

would this be what you speake of . it was cought in lake blacksher . 9i have cought several .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

They are being stocked in Illinois also. Pullers they are. We got them in 1987 and they have reproduced well. If you get one in the 15 inch range... you will think you have a small mouth bass on. Wow!!!
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

We've got em at our local TWRA lake here in West Tennessee. Feisty is right too, they put up a heck of a fight . . . and they eat just as good too!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/100_1590.jpg

would this be what you speake of . it was cought in lake blacksher . 9i have cought several .
    That is exactly it.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

mighty you asked if they are rare. Well that question all depends on where you are fishing. We have them over here on Tims, Woods, and Normandy. 80% of the crappie I catch on Normandy and Tims are Blacknose. One thing that surprises me though is that everyone says they fight more. I have caught many of them since living here in Southern Middle TN the last 2 years, but havent really noticed much of a difference in strength over a period of time and catching them. Mighty did you catch it at Goosepond or close to there? If so, I would think that is rare for there. I have caught 100 million "okay lets be honest here (99 million LOL) crappie in North Alabama and have never caught a blacknose there. You are one up on me there. Like I said, I've pulled many a crappie outta those waters and have never got a blacknose. Sometime if I ever get a chance, I'll invite you up here to TN and put you on some big blacknose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast