Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about flickin' shimmy jigheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about flickin' shimmy jigheads

I troll for crappie. Instead of long-lining, I add a 3/8 oz. weight about 18" in front of my jig head. I attach jigs with snap swivels.

Is there any advantage/reason to use a jig head whose eye is at an angle (as shown in the pic below) rather than straight up? It seems like it might pull the jig at a more natural angle.

Bass Pro Shops lists them as flicking shimmy jigheads...but I have no flicking idea what that means.

Name:  Shimmy head jig.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  4.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Those heads are designed to be used with a technique called "flick shaking", which is a finesse bass technique. Kind of like wacky rigging but with a little weight added. Hook your worm in the center with both ends hanging. Anyway, jigheads with that type eye bend (30, 45, 60 degrees) tend to be used a lot with swimming retrieves for bass, and should provide the same benefits for crappie, though you don't see them utilized much. Should be good for trolling, though you'll have to watch for rolling of the bait, as the straighter the line tie and more centered the lead weight (less keel effect), the more likely the bait is to roll, especially with bulky baits, lighter jighead weight, or faster trolling speeds.

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks T9. Especially the warning about rolling the bait. I think I'll pass on them since I don't need anything more inducing line twist.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks T9, very informative.
    I had no flicking idea what that meant either. :o
    Learn something new every day... and especially on this forum!

Thanks to all