Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Keep Lead Legal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Keep Lead Legal

Keep America Fishing (lobbyists for the fishing industry) is working on a bill to prevent a federal ban on lead hunting/fishing products (i.e. JIG HEADS). If you would like to support that bill by contacting your government representative, the link below will take to to KeepAmericaFishing.org where they've made it very easy to do just that. You just enter your zip code, it brings up your representatives with a message regarding the bill (you can alter the message if you choose). Then you just put in your contact info and click send - it's that simple. Let's get our voice out there!

UPDATE: Attempts to Ban Lead Fishing Tackle Increase - Your Help is Needed More Than Ever
    Last edited by WhiteMeat; 01-10-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Do you agree that lead should remain legal? Think about how many lead jigs and weights you've left behind (stuck on a limb, under a rock, broke off on a big catfish, etc...). Now multiply that number by 60 million. That's a lot of lead we're leaving behind! Is it a practice that should be banned, or is it still not enough to qualify as a health threat?

And if we ban lead, what does that leave us with? Is there any other product that I can use to pour my own jig heads at home?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of tungsten bullet weights to use on my trolling rigs because they're heavier (smaller) than lead. The package "sells" the fact that they aren't harmful to the environment. But I think tungsten is a very hard metal and probably doesn't melt at a low temp like lead...making it hard to use at home.

It would be interesting to see some objective science about lead pollution from fishing tackle...but it seems like the words "objective" and "science" shouldn't be used in the same sentence any more.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just propaganda again. People keep bringing this up every few months and there isn't anything too it. The President has come out and said he has no intentions of banning lead from the fishing industry. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

i use tin split shot doesnt seem to matter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    This is just propaganda again. People keep bringing this up every few months and there isn't anything too it. The President has come out and said he has no intentions of banning lead from the fishing industry. EB
    The president may not have intentions of banning lead from the fishing industry, but many groups (like the Center for Biological Diversity, or Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, etc....) have sizeable staffs of well-educated, well-trained, well-funded activists to DO seek to eliminate lead from our tackle boxes. This bill is aimed at stopping those constant efforts so we DON'T have to hear about it every few months. If you didn't bother to go take a look at the "propaganda" please do so before commenting; this isn't the same 'go tell your rep. to vote against their bill' that we usually see, it's 'go tell your rep. to vote FOR our bill'.

Post Thanks / Like

The environmental groups keep hacking away at the ingredients that is used in all fishing products. Never just blow these things off. This admin has pushed the epa to ban styrene but was stopped by a law suite by mercury. Styrene is in all fiberglass products. See,, trying to shut down boat building. How long would the motor companies last just building for the tin boats? What is next,,the ingredients in the soft plastics and line?
    We have already lost many miles of fishing waters in Fl and one resivour in Idaho just for the ducks. Thank you epa.
    Pay attention as to what IS going on behind the scenes before we all loose out on the things we love to do, whether fishing or hunting
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 01-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the been in the hunting industry all my life, specifically waterfowl. They banned the use of lead shot for hunting waterfowl for TWO reasons. One, waterfowl would ingest the pellets while getting sand and grit. The SECOND reason and IMO the MAIN reason it was banned is because several Bald Eagles were found dead as a result of lead poisoning from eating crippled ducks. I wonder what would happen it those scavenger birds got a hold of a floating fish with a split shot and died. Media would have a field day! My personal view, I want lead to stay!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well lead is what they blame it on. They do a lab test for only lead and say that is what killed it. Never do they do a complete forensic evaluation. Mercury and pcb's would be at the top of the list. The government has spent who knows how many millions of dollars to get rid of mercury over the years. Now this admin is wanting to get it back in our homes just because it has a ge label on the light bulbs. Watch the mercury levels rise in the waters as it leaches out of the land fills over the coming years.
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 01-11-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The COE, USGS, NRCS, all do water quality surveys. Look them up, what you find won't surprise you. Lead toxicity isn't there. There are places were it is, but outdoors products aren't the cause. And tungsten, don't get me started, I'll just say for every 2#'s of tungsten produced 1# of mercury is also produced. That's 5 yr old info, maybe they cleaned up their act, may be not. But the manufacture of heavy metals, coal fired power plants create large quantities of mercury along with many other less desirable pollutants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast