Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: slip bobber fishing??

Post Thanks / Like

Default slip bobber fishing??

I'm still fairly new to crappie fishing, and I've just been longline trolling so far. I was thinking about trying a few other techniques and had a few questions. When fishing with a slip bobber over structure, how far should you try to stay from the structure? I was planning on trying a 2 jig set-up with the slip bobber. I figure the shallower the structure is the farther away, but is that true for deeper structure too? and what is the rule for achoring down and fishing stucture where other people might be trolling? wouldn't want to be doing the wrong thing on the water. I try to be courtious to others. thanks for any help.
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting more and more where I like to fish a cork and jig. All I can tell you is that you don't have to be that far away at all but I enjoy the fight of a nice slab hooked on a long cast. We jig fish right over our structure but fishing seems best with at least 8 to 10 feet of water. Actually, I think that the anchored boat kinda has the "right of way" so to speak. If you want to anchor, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Good Luck
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Dave. I hope to try out some cork fishing this weekend. do you fish stucture that is only showing fish or will you try structure even if it doesn't show any fish on the finder?
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

I use two anchors and set them about 75' out from the cover in opposite directions and let the wind blow me until I'm right next to teh cover. Then I drop my lines right in the cover, that's where the Crappie are, in the cover. I like to start out a couple feet above the cover, and work my way down. No sense getting hung up if I dont have too. I use #6 mono line and #4 hooks with a split shot about 18" above the hook. IF I break off, usually its right below the split shot. However even if I break completely off, I carry a minnow net on a long broken rod and use it to scoop out the bobber. I also have a pole set up with #4 mono and #6 hooks and use that on the outskirts of the cover, not expecting it to get hung up, but it happens too. Usually with the #6 hooks, you straighten them out.

As for others, if your anchored up, they need to go around, even if your in the middle of the lake.

One other thing.
    Structure= natural lake features, fingers, draws, creeks, etc.
    Cover= fish cribs, rocks, weeds, trees, basically anything fish can hide in.
    If your are actually referring to structure, replace the word cover with structure in the above reply.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice and terminolgy Hanr3. now I won't sound quite as ignorrant
    **rww1977**

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally spider rig 10 rods....

The 8 "inside" rods are tightlined ...
    The 2 "outside" rods are slip bobber setups...

This gives me immediate access to slip bobber rigs that I can cast to distant targets as I spider rig...

Some brush piles I know are just too "hangy" to spider rig so when I get within a reasonable casting distance I cast 1 of the slip bobber rigs into it with a weedless hook ....
    Love to watch that bobber go down...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor