Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping the jig...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping the jig...

You read a lot about tipping a jig with a nibble or a minnow, but has anyone ever had luck tipping with slivers of minnow or other none game fish?

I was kayak fishing this summer, had some dead minnows, and remember fishing the ox bows in Arkansa where you increased your harvest just by putting something fishy on the hook along with your jig. If the summer heat killed some of our minnows we'd tip jigs with minnow heads, or we'd cut them in half long ways and tip with that... didn't seem to matter as long as something fishy was on there with the jig. Added to the cat bite as well.

After this trip I was having a tough day one afternoon so I started jigged the bank with a small bream buster and caught a couple smallish blue gill. Pulled out the fillet knife and started cutting strips of meat and put that in a plastic bag with a tiny bit of lake water to keep them pliable. Sure improved the catch rate for the next couple of hours.

Cheaper than store bought and as natural as it gets. When cleaning crappie I've thought about cutting strips of scaled skin left from the cleaning process, but thought Mr. Greenjeans would frown on that.

Post Thanks / Like

We tip our jigs with wax worms or spikes alot of the time

Post Thanks / Like

I see ya! Never done it on crappie, I've cut up crappie and used it to catch catfish, but only if I couldn't catch any bream or shad, they have a lot more oil, I once caught catfish using slivers of catfish.

I like the idea of cuttin dead minnows long way might try that.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I tip every hook with a sliver of fish, usually crappie, bluegill or perch. I use the leftovers from cleaning. The outer ribcage flesh works real well because it has a layer of silver-colored, tough flesh; holds a hook better than a sliver of just flesh.

Lots of times I'll use just a bare hook with a sliver, under a slip bobber. My home lake doesn't allow minnows because they're concerned about introduction of invasive species.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it for crappie. Doubt it could hurt though. One of the best days I can remember bream fishing we were using cut up pieces of crawdad to catch shellcrackers. When we started running low on bait, my dad started using just a scale from the tail on a bare hook and kept on catching.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of using belly meat for what you mention. Minnows are big around here, but I'd rather fool em than feed em. If I do tip it's with a minnow. I'll have to try some belly meat and see how it does for me. Saturday was tough, it might have helped.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Cut bait crappie catches crappie! The thinner/skinnier the better.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

yes, a little cut bait strip will turn them on.
    some times just stepping on a minnow will do it

Post Thanks / Like

Have taken a crappie (any size) and you put your finger in there mouth and push down on the inside of the lower lip. then take a pocket knife and there is a V shape piece of tough grizzle well form. This works very good as bait. If cut correctly it well have a good peice to put the hook into with two small legs coming off of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great piece bassbull, thanks. Seems like the same piece you can cut out from under the chin of a trout as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast