Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for Slabfest Chefs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for Slabfest Chefs

What breading was used on the delicious fish? I liked the lite crispy breading. My son fried up some yesterday with some Uncle Bucks batter and it wasnt that good.

Post Thanks / Like

The yellow was Zatarains seasoned fry mix and the lighter color was brought by someone and claimed to be from maryland I believe. Louisiana fry mix is good as well. Them shakers make a BIG difference as well, not leaving a heavy coating on em.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

As huntinslabs mentioned, the batter bowl is great to have. My wife and I use milk, eggs, and House of Audry (Think i spelled that one right.) You can always taste and add additional seasoning to this one as well.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, youll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes. :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ill have to pick one pf those up.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro has them as well, just couldn't find it on line

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my story on breading mix. We were visiting our favorite seafood restaurant in Murrells Inlet, SC many moons ago and the line wrapped around the building to the back. We saw a delivery truck taking supplies in the back door so I went over and in passing I asked what kind of breading mix they used. The guy handed me a bag of House-Autry and that is all I have used since.
    This is their website: Southern Cooking Product Descriptions - Seafood Breader | House Autry Mills
    They started out as a small family business in NC but their products are available nationwide, including the area around you guys in central Florida.
    Try it ...you'll like it.
    SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Guys...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed here's the real deal on the light-colored crispy filets. I provided that dry breading mix. I am from Maryland however, the mix is from Brockton, Massachusetts. The company is called Concorde Foods and the Red-E-Made division is where the "Clam fry" breading originates. The company is very cordial but they don't retail their products to the public. they will give you the wholesalers(US Foods -e.g.) in any national region that handles their products. I became familiar with this product through a local restaurant in Belleview, FL that uses it. They soak their fish filets in dark beer and then drop the moistened fish in the dry mix(good to let them rest for about an hour before frying). The fest filets were good but I think the really wet filets work better to coat the filets(for even better crispiness). The company actually sent me free samples that are almost gone as a goodwill gesture for PR.

Glad you liked it, beautiful fish by the way
    u2s