Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooring/Decking Thickness

Post Thanks / Like

Question Flooring/Decking Thickness

I have a 16X52 ALLWELD Aluminum flatboat with a 50HP Johnson, steering on right side, with a 55 # thrust Minn Kota Great White trolling motor.
    I have put some closed cell foam on the floor and want to cover it with plywood and carpet.
    I also want to extend the front casting area by about 2'.

QUESTION IS: What thinkness plywood should I use and does it have to be treated or marine grade? Would I be better served putting the "astro turf" looking carpet or plain old outdoor carpet over the plywood. Or, just paint the plywood and make it non-slip some how.

Any other advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

My best direction would be to put an aluminum floor in with screws. That way you can take it out and check, or replace your foam when the time comes. I wouldn't put plywood in it if I planned on fishing it a lot, or it being out in the weather very much. If you are not out in the weather, and keep it covered otherwise, 1/2" plywood over foam would probably be the minimum I would do. I like the aluminum though.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to use pressure treated wood in a boat unless you're looking to get termites, however you might want to put a coat of polyester resin over the 3/4 ply to keep water out of the wood. Carpet or no carpet is your preference, but I would do something to make it non-skid. If you seal the ply good with a coat of resin on both sides, the only place for much water to get in it would be screw holes. You can also coat your screws with silicone first to seal them as well.
    Waterboy1

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with talltimber. I rebuilt my Duracraft and used aluminum. I is more expensive on the front end, but you'll never have to replace it again. For the decking I would use 3/4 inch exterior plywood sealed real good with resin. Since you are planning on extending the front deck by 2 feet you should be able to get by with 1 sheet of 1/8" aluminum. Good luck and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are gonna use wood for the front deck i would go to lowes and get a 4x8 sheet 3/4 in thick and i forget what it's called but it has a 50 year warranty. you can nail it screw it and water still won't effect it. i think it's about 25.00 a sheet. i've built 2 deer box blinds for a friend out of it. you don't have to seal it with anything. like tall said al would be the way to go but you need to put something on it to keep from slipping. it will be slicker than snot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna check at Lowes for that wood, I could use some of that also! Never heard of wood with that kind of warranty.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

it's tongue and groove and it's stamped on each board "50 year warranty." anyone that works in the lumber dept there will know what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Shop AdvanTech 23/32 x 4 x 8 OSB Subfloor at Lowes.com

there you go blackhawk. it is 24.00 a sheet. advantech. click on specifications.
    Last edited by olduckhunter; 01-08-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm sort of in the exact situation. a friend of mine bought a 1984 aluminum bass tracker and asked me to help him re-build the thing. it has a new 40 hp mercury engine and the hull is in fine condition... but the decking was completely worn out.

so far i have pulled all of the wood decking, old carpet, and the foam from under the deck wood.

question 1. what type of foam should be used to replace the original? any expanding foam that can be bought at lowes or home depot?

question 2. if using a non-skid paint for the surface of the deck instead of carpet, will a epoxy garage style floor coating stick to the wood decking if the wood has been sealed properly with resin?

Post Thanks / Like

Some one just sent this to me yesterday, looks like what you might need.
    Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast