Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jackson Cuda... HUGE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackson Cuda... HUGE!

Maybe it is my perspective, but dang that thing is huge. Stopped by KCPaddler in Peculiar, MO. Nice guys there. I sat in, stood on, looked under, in, through, opened, closed, adjusted, lifted, sat in again.... but that thing is HUGE!!!

My current yak is a cheap Ascend D10 I rigged for fishing. I've fished out of it about three dozen times. Flowing water, smalled weedy water, larger lakes, trolled for cat and crappie, pitched jigs for crappie, trolled cranks, ran limb lines, etc. I've done enough that I know yak fishing is something I want to stay hooked up to.

The Cuda is 14'4", but looking at it in that shop it looked twice as long as my current yak. It cost three times as much at $1200 and then I have to start rigging.
    Liked:
    Open hull, you can open the back hatch, stick your rods in and unless they are longer than 12' or so you can hide even your long crappie rod in there.
    Tons of space to keep, mount, hide, strap down gear and supplies for a whole day on the water.

Disliked:
    The size is intimidating. Loading and unloading might be an issue unless you have a small trailer or looonngg bed puckup. 75# is not that heavy, picking up bags of concrete are not an issue, but those bags are not 2.5' wide and 14.25' long.
    Price, dumping $1200 into a one man craft... and that is before you start rigging; rod holders, electronics, anchor....

Post Thanks / Like

JMO but you are comparing two different types of kayaks, sort of a large touring car vs small car (say cadallic vs scion). Paddle 1/2 mile of open water (ie chop on the water), fish, then turn around and head into the wind for the 1/2 mile return trip. You'll quickly appreciate the extra length (and associated speed). Also keep in mind that in the Cuda, you can stand up and fish, not so much in the d10. In the Jackson lineup, the Daytripper is a more similar model to the d10.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not really a comparison. Just mentioned that D10 as a reference pt. of my experience. I'm sure there are some positives, but I'm still on the fence.

Not writing it off, yet. I was impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. The price is not unaffordable, we do well, but I have a cheapskate bone that makes it an issue for a one man craft. Of course, a well outfitted yak like the Cuda would last me a long time if not the life of my yak fishing passion/ability.

a. I know I want a SOT, but don't want to sit in a puddle or have my arse on the bottom as in most. I like the seats as in the Jackon and Native lines.
    b. Standing or being able to throw both legs off one side and not dump is a plus.
    c. Storage and gear access.

Sounds like the Cuda, doesn't it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it does. I have Coosa, and I am digging it. Had a Ultimate 12, sold it as I found it uncomfortable to stand in (too narrow of standing area). Coosa is pretty slow boat, and gets blown around pretty good in the wind. Coosa does great when floating rivers for smallmouth. I am lucky in that I have other boats that I mainly use for crappie (jon and canoes).

Post Thanks / Like

Did you pick up the Cuda and try to lift it to shoulder height? A sack of concrete and a kayak are two different animals because the kayak is so bulky. If you are cartopping it makes a difference. Not saying don't get the Cuda... just another something to think about!

Post Thanks / Like

That's my pt sack of concrete are compact... this monster will have to be slid or pushed on top instead of lifted

Post Thanks / Like

What vehicle and what rack system are you cartopping with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishjunky View Post
    What vehicle and what rack system are you cartopping with?
    me? Mostly Yukon with Yakima. However I have used Thule in the past and it worked great too (sold them with the vehicle). With both, I just had crossbars and towers. IMO no need for rollers, cradles, etc.