Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Getting Brushpiles Ready.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting Brushpiles Ready.

Time to start again. Gathering some good hardwood to drop in the lake. I usually put out 20 to 30 piles (like the ones in the attached picture) each year. It is hard work, but this is what it takes to catch on a regular basis. Any volunteers?? lol. The pro guides have to work for a living folks. It ain't all fun. You would have to really like it to be a guide. Too much work for me. lol

Jerry Blake. I need to know about the Wal-Mart bag of rocks.

Pic of Honey still raking leaves as we fished the TZ. Ain't I lucky.

Cane Pole
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Time to start again. Gathering some good hardwood to drop in the lake. I usually put out 20 to 30 piles (like the ones in the attached picture) each year. It is hard work, but this is what it takes to catch on a regular basis. Any volunteers?? lol. The pro guides have to work for a living folks. It ain't all fun. You would have to really like it to be a guide. Too much work for me. lol

Cane Pole
    Hi Canepole,
    You are so right, putting out brushpiles can be exhausting but the benefits are great! After looking at the limbs you cut in your photo I was wondering how big you make your brushpiles. I realize that you probably make them bigger or smaller depending on the situation but im curious about your average size. The only brushpile building that I have done has been with Christmas trees . Do you attach several good sized trunks together or alot of smaller stuff together or a combination of both? Do you tie your brushpiles to existing cover (EX. standing timber) or do you just anchor them down with concrete blocks or something? I have had great experience with Christmas trees this year but it was very hard work because I had to drag them so far to the places on the reservoir that I fish. I am excited to see how they held up over the winter when the drawdown is complete but I have heard so much about how the soft Christmas trees don't hold up very well. I don't mind working so hard doing something I love but if putting hardwoods out will hold up longer then I would rather do that and not have to do it as often. Have you had much luck with your brushpiles being productive? It was very gratifying for me this year to sit over a Christmas tree and yank up some really nice fish off of something that I put there! Im sure there are alot of other folks on this site that have felt the same way including you. I sure appreciate any info can share . I better stop now , Im starting to feel like Moose . LOL . Just kidding Moose I always enjoy your post and as long as other people are hitting on you I thought Id just jump on the band wagon. I wish I could make one of these tournaments sometime so I could meet everyone here, maybe the spring fling if there is going to be one next year........treepotato

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Size of brushpiles

I use only hardwood. It lasts longer than the softwood such as xmas trees. The size of the piles are not so big that 2 cinder blocks won't sink. I have put them out and they wouldn't sink..lol I have put xmas trees out in the past, but I prepared them first by burning off the the needles, then thining them out a little. Around my area, the xmas trees without clearing the needles, were covered with
    that slimy green stuff. They were one big glob in the water that trash fish like bass hung out at. My input for what it is worth.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Brush Piles

If you need some help putting those brush piles out, I don't mind lending my young back. Maybe then I'd know where to catch some fish. I'll be getting some ready to put out soon too, here at the watershed and KY lake.
    ps. got your Honey trained well you do, with that rake and all
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole
    Hey Canepole:

I sent you a private message.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole
    I just find a pocket on the lake where all the debris from storms or wind has washed up on bank and sift through it and find hardwood, parts of old docks, pallets, you name it! whatever works! Then I take them out to the flats out here on Beaver lake and sink away.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole:
    Man if I lived closer I would drive over and help you with that project.

I saw your brush pile around your boat dock and it was massive. I am sure that your brush piles out on West Sandy are just as impressive.

I was going to drive up to Patoka Lake last Winter and help Larry from Southern IN put in some of his brush piles.

KY lake is much older and it's needs a lot more bush piles. Patoka is much younger and it had more timber to start out with.

Your wife sure does a lot of work around the summer place. Those trees are many and massive and they drop a lot of leaves. At least the grass was not too tall.

I went fishing today and it was nice and calmn. Caught two nice White Crappie in this one spot before they turned off. Last time I fished this spot I caught ten fish in a row before they turned off. I got out late yesterday and only fished for two hours.

It's good to be back home and know were the road leads to. LOL

Cane Pole
    Regards,

Moose1am