Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rain = Waterlevels rising

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain = Waterlevels rising

With all this rain, will Taylorsville be worth fishing this weekend? I'm assuming the lake level will be comming up as I live in Shepherdsville near the Salt river. It's Flowing big time!
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb keep your eye on this site ....

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/reports/lkreport.html

If the water level is much higher than it is now, by Friday afternoon, you're probably looking at a weeks wait (for the water level to get back to normal). The river end of the lake will probably be too muddy to do much good, and the main portion of the lake may be dirtied up some, too. The lake may be a bit "trashy", too, so be careful running ... if you go.
    As far as the "fishing" ........ the Crappie may not have gotten into full spawning, just yet - and the flooded banks may offer them some new territory to explore, and some easy meals. A slow rise would be best, but if you can get there at the beginning of any water level rise ... you may be able to find them quite shallow. The White Crappie don't mind the murky water, and may even get right up against the flooded tree trunks/brush .... the Black Crappie, however, will probably pull back and suspend - waiting for the water to clear up some.
    The last few years, that I've fished Taylorsville, I've found them still spawning in 4-8ft of water ... in the first weeks of May. That is, when the rains don't flood the lake out around that time. Even so, I still usually find Crappie to be relatively easy to find throughout the month of May. They're generally holding on fallen trees and standing timber ... in the 8-15ft depths.
    If you go ..... be sure and post a report .... thanks, and .... luck2ya ...cp