Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: So, I'm working at the Norfolk Medical Examiners office today and

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, I'm working at the Norfolk Medical Examiners office today and

As I walk down the hall to where the x-ray equipment is located I look into the autopsy room where they have a body with it's brain missing. I tell the autopsy tech (who also takes the x-rays) about the body that I saw and she proudly tells me that she was the one that removed the brain. This is a 30 year old woman. Makes you appreciate your job a bit more doesn't it? I have been there enough times and know that if I look into the room there's no telling what I might see yet I still look at times. The sights don't seem to bother me as it really does look like something from a movie. Now, having worked at the Medical Examiners office in Richmond I can tell you the smells are another story. Anyways, we won't go there. They have a digital unit so I was able to browse through the images on the computer of past x-rays. Sad but interesting at the same time. There are so many shot gun to the head cases. I know when I was in Richmond they were mostly suicide cases. Needless to say I saw some really odd looking skull x-rays. Oh well, I came home for lunch as I am awaiting a phone call from tech support and now it's time to head back. Perhaps you will appreciate your job a bit more now.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Is your company hiring?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is in the O.T. graduate program at a major med. university in Ga. You wouldnt believe the class she had to take and the things she did in anatomy class. It wasnt an optional class but I never figured her as being on for it. I guess helping me clean a few fish, deer, and rabbits and squirrels over her lifetime mighta helped her get over that initial pain when the autophies began. In groups, they removed (or exposed) every nerve in the body...from top of the head to the bottom of the feet on fresh cadavers. And she did mention that smell too.:rolleyes:
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked there and at MCV on construction projects I know what you mean about the smell, I threw away a pair of coveralls, couldn't wash the smell out or I had convinced myself it wouldn't wash out. As far as the visual part it never seemed to bother me, in 40 years on construction sites unfortunately I witnessed a few accidents, four fatal that I can remember. There is one that I will never be able to forget and that is the sound a person makes falling 90' onto concrete. All the special effects on TV or in the movies I've seen never come close to that sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work on refrigeration systems on body boxes at the state morgue. I still remember seeing a 16-18yr laying on the table, drown while fishing on James.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ahhh, yes ... the sights & sounds & smells of a Hospital

OK ... then maybe ya'll can appreciate what I've been through, being a Pharmacy Tech for over 40yrs Rofl

I have to deal with foul smelling chemicals & medications, Code Blue situations, barf & poo smells only slightly masked by Peppermint Oil (& I don't like peppermints smell, either ), rotting flesh smell on patients with necrotizing faciitis (flesh eating bacteria), burn patients, etc (you get the picture).

Registered Sr Pharmacy Technician
    Univ. of KY Chandler Medical Center

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh....I think I just threw up alittle in my mouth.... Ill stick to Landscaping/Hardscaping for now.....worst thing I run across is an occasional No-Shoulders.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion