Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on crappie tournaments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on crappie tournaments

Also posted on Kansas board but wanted to see the MO boys opinions...

Curious what everyones opinions are on the total fish that can be weighed in at a crappie tournament. I know talking to some people alot of the tournaments used to be 10 and even 20 fish. Seems like these days 7 fish is the max. Curious as to why and what peoples thoughts are on this. Truely it doesnt really matter to me, I will donate my money either way. Also how does the time length of the tournament stack up against number of fish?

In specific the Thursday night Hillsdale, ks tournaments, Labs and Chief did a great thing by getting these going and unfortunately the number of boats declined. I have talked to alot of new faces in the area that are interested in fishing but whine about the 4 fish weigh in. Why not make it a 7 or 10 fish limit and open it up to more people that feel they can compete if the limit is 10?

I personally have mixed feelings, on one hand I see the good fisherman just coming in with higher weights. On the other hand I see guys that can get their 10 10"-11" fish and maybe be able to stack up to the 4 trophy fish. But who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds a lot like the "who's on first" routine.
    I'd be asking the guys that fished the Hillsdale Ks tournament as to why they stopped fishing them.

And an old and trusted formula that is used is: "the cosign of the stop sign has to equal the heat of the meat"

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why for sure but my opinion is that tournaments went from 30 to 15 to 10 to now 7 so that not as many big fish were being taken from the lake. The big sticks that do well with 4 fish will do well with it at 7 or 10 also. I fished a work tourny that had a two man side and a family side. We fishes the family side even with just two of us because there was more money "entries" in that side. We had over 21lbs and thought we had it whipped. Then here come some big sticks and they had just over 27 lbs. I mean that is some huge weight. Not a lb average but they a bunch that were 1 1/2. So by having more fish it will even it out some but from 4 to 7 I don't think will make any difference. If they can find 4 big fish they will find 3 more most days. That's just 7 bites.

Post Thanks / Like

The # of fish is just an arbitrary number that can be changed anytime if the majority wants it that way, but fewer fish gives the little guy a better chance IMO. When you are fishing for just a few hrs in an evening tourn., everyone may be able to come up with 4, but the big sticks may be able to come up with 7 more consistently than the little guy. I do think the idea of only weighing in 7 or 10 in a longer tourn. is a good idea to keep so many big fish from being taken. Again....IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I may look at this differently then others. I will catch as many fish as I can up to my limit and weigh the largest whatever the limit is at the tournament. I only have so many times a month to fish and make the best of them.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    I may look at this differently then others. I will catch as many fish as I can up to my limit and weigh the largest whatever the limit is at the tournament. I only have so many times a month to fish and make the best of them.
    I feel this is how 90% of tournament anglers fish. Catch as many fish as they can in areas that hold big fish.

Post Thanks / Like

With the fish have to be alive rule,we try to keep 8 only in the boat to make sure they don't get over-crowded and have 1 back-up in case 1 dies.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a good tournament guy will win whatever the number of fish. Makes a lot of sense about the health of the fish and fishery.

I think a lot depends on the lake your fishing also.

Post Thanks / Like

I think 4 is a great number for a evening tournament. Everyone has a great chance of bringing in 4 fish, and everyone has a chance.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

good reading

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast