Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the best

rod for shootin docks. Length and action, not so much the brand.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

That is like asking which is better Chevy or Ford. It comes down to personal preference by who is using it. I like a 5 ft light weight rod. There are some that like longer rods with different actions. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your comfort level with a rod. I can fish with anythign from 4 foot up to 10ft. But my fav is a 5 footer. I use a light action bass rod as it has more backbone than most of the crappie rods at that length.

I am not expert at shootin docks but I am learning fast. Its kida like flippin in a way, not exactly the same but some of the same issues with getting the bait in the exact spot you want it to go to. I practice at home from my boat in the drive way and shoot it into the garage and mailbox. Garage door is just about 3 inches off the ground. I can make it with my 10foot jig rod but I hit the door a lot to. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Been shootin for about 10-12 yrs best rod I have used is a ESP 6' power-lite. used Shimano aero lite 5'6" (no longer made) for years. Crappiepappy told me about the ESP and I bought one to try. I dont worry too much about the feel, I want a rod that will shoot the jig and the ESP will. but I like the feel also

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got a 4'6" Crappie Maxx ML action IM6 Graphite pole and I LOVE it. I also have a ESP and it works good to.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I think I'll take a look at the ESP
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you look at a 5ft6inch version also. You will be able to shoot lighter jigs farther. I use the BPS Microlite along with 4 pound test on a Pflueger reel. Good luck with whatever you choose.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunter7711 View Post
    Thanks all. I think I'll take a look at the ESP
    I'll help you with that : Ultra Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors

I'm currently using the 5'6" UL ESP rod for dock shooting. I can & sometimes do use my 6'6" PowerLite ESP rod, as well. Sometimes it just depends on which one I already have in hand, and/or how far away from the dock I can position myself & still get a accurate presentation.

I was formerly using a 5' Quantum UL rod, for shooting docks (& still use it on occasion). The people I learned about shooting docks from, all used 6' med Bass action spinning rods. And I, too, have used rods up to 8ft long for shooting docks ... but, I think the general concensus is that a 5-6' rod with a fast action tip is the length range you want to explore.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Myself and several buddies have had great success with the 6'6" medium light Berkley cherrywood cw5662ml for the money they are super durable and plenty stout to shoot a jig completly under a dock.
    Rods | Berkley Fishing#
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot 1/32 jigs most of the time, some 1/24, I have tried ALOT of rods. any rod will shoot a jig, very few will shoot a jig well. that extra foot or two of distance can make alot of difference. cant imagine why a shorter rod would shoot farther than a longer one. this is not just my opinion but my experience over years of shooting. My two fishing partners were using G Loomis rods when I bought the ESP, they now shoot with ESP's. but be warned the ESP rods have micro eyes that some may not like. EB said it right on the Chevy Ford thing. also my advice is if you find a rod you really like save up and buy several to put up for later, companies seem to quit making rods after a few years and you will break a rod shootin sooner or later

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast