Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slip bobber info

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip bobber info

Not having any luck finding a really good slip bobber for using very light jigs. No matter what pound test line i use, when i'm casting 1/32 or smaller jigs, i cant get the line to go thru to get me to the depths i want. What company makes the one with the best inner tube, that allows line to flow thru.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Thill float adaptors. They're designed for the Thill wagglers (which is what I use), but they will work with other floats. 100# line will flow through them easily.

Thill Float Swivel Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Thill makes a model that has a brass insert ring at the top of the float. The ring keeps the line from gouging the rim of the hole and causing the line to hang up. Not every Thill has the brass insert ring; I've got some with and some without. And/or you might try some line lubricant in the tube and on the amount of line you need for depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention: I know that most people use the type of slip float where the line runs through the center of the float. I don't use them for a lot of reasons, but they're particularly bad for really light jigs. There's just too much resistance for the light jig to pull the line through the float easily. The only way to alleviate this is to fish with the float directly under your rod tip (like in ice fishing.) I realize most people want to cast, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely cast. I anchor up next to teh crib and pitch my line out, under hand style. I only use the thill style slip bobbers. I use a bigger float and add weight to the line to compensate for the larger float size. The added weight actually balances out the larger float and makes the whole thing super sensative. Plus it pulls the lure down to depth faster and bobber tube resistance is not an issue.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I rarely cast. I anchor up next to teh crib and pitch my line out, under hand style. I only use the thill style slip bobbers. I use a bigger float and add weight to the line to compensate for the larger float size. The added weight actually balances out the larger float and makes the whole thing super sensative. Plus it pulls the lure down to depth faster and bobber tube resistance is not an issue.
    Then this wont help me. I cast, as i posted. I use very small jigs, as i posted. Bdorman, thanks. I'll see if thill has what i'm looking for. I bought a few of those that have the jig size rated posted on them but they dont work either. I want one that i can use from shore for deep water jigging.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chaunc,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I love to cast too. When casting the 1/80 and 1/100th or even the 1/64th oz jigs you might try this idea. It is in the archives and it works. The same technique works on the styrofoam bobbers only instead of drilling the hole you use a heated nail head to make the hole. Insert your bb's or split shot, use silicone to seal it.

Here is that diagram...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...d-crappie.html

I do a ton of bank fishing. This works great and I will use it with a double jig set up. I will use a knot made from dental floss as the stop knot. You will see how to make it in this post.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, wont do what i want. I need a sliding bobber. That's a fixed float that you can adjust. Maybe Russ can help me find one that will work. Dont recall seeing him use one in any of his videos tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked at the esb bobber...............i think its slipbobber.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    Mike, wont do what i want. I need a sliding bobber. That's a fixed float that you can adjust. Maybe Russ can help me find one that will work. Dont recall seeing him use one in any of his videos tho.
    YES IT WILL CHAUNC! Use the same technique on your styrofoam fixed float. I'm telling you it's the concept that works and not just on a fixed float. Get one of your styrofoam slip floats. Heat a nail and punch a hole in the styrofoam but DO NOT GO THROUGH THE SLIP TUBE! Insert your small split shot. Seal the float with silicone. Sometimes I may punch three holes in differing places and add three different split shots.

Now dadblabbitallandsonofagun Chaunc...listen to your elders.

This is the modified float.

This is me, on the bank, using the float to cast 1/80 jigs a great distance.

Last edited by shipahoy41; 01-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast