Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig fishing question

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig fishing question

I just found a St Croix 9' 6wt flyrod that I used to catch bluegill in the Spring..Just wondering if the 6wt would be strong enough to use as a jig pole. It surely feels good with a micro-lite reel...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing, I looked at a 8 foot, 5 to 6 wt this past weekend and though it would be a good jig pole for light weight jigs, say 1/32 or 1/64, Started to buy it, but hate to find out it wouldn't work, because I all ready got a building full of them kind of rods! Lets here some input please. Looking for a long rod to reach them hard to get to places, for winter time fishing where the bite is so light.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 8' 7wt that worked ok for me, the 6 isn't much different. The more parabolic nature of the bend might be a little soft, but it's sure worth a try. Mine is fiberglass, an old Browning Silaflex that belonged to Dad before he passed, so I'll have it one way or the other. My favorite rods these days is a BGJP in 8' that I use for vertical jigging and about everything else except shooting docks. They probably aren't much different from the fly rod other than the position of the reel seat. Great sensitivity.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, a 6wt will be plenty strong. Most 6wt rods have more backbone than a lot of jig poles I've seen.