Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 jigs vs. 1 jig??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 jigs vs. 1 jig??

I'm still new to crappie fishing, but have gotten some really good advice from some of you on this site. I really appreciate it. I was gonna throw a couple more questions out there and see if I might get any replies. I been going to some local PFAs. It limits you to having two poles per person, which is fine for me and my girlfriend. I've been able to catch a few, but nothing special. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how much deeper I would be fishing if I tried a 2 jig setup to get more baits in the water. I use 4 lb test line right now, but think I am gonna go to 6. I usually troll around 0.9 mph. With the same amount of line out, how much deeper would you think 2 jigs would run. I use mostly 1/16 jigheads.
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how far you tie them apart? Fish two jigs, different colors, let the fish tell you what they want.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slabs. that was kinda what I had in mind to give them more options since I am limited to having 2 poles. just ain't real sure how much it will affect the depth they are running at?
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

Two poles, two jigs a pole, cover some water, your good to go.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot depends on how your rodholders are set up on your boat but if youre pulling a single jig on a good cast on 6# line then the jig is running about 7'-8' deep. If you double your jigs per line they will be running about 12'-13' deep. If that's too deep you can shorten the amount of line you have out or speed up (I opt to shorten the lines as I think .9 mph is a great speed for catching crappie). BTW, I'm talking about using all 1/16th ballhead jigs with curly tail grubs on them.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks GBM, looks like it will more or less double my depth if I keep the same amount of line out? That helps cause I kinda got a rough idea what my baits are doing now.
    **rww1977**

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

rww, if you know a place on the lake free from snags you can get your lines out and your trolling speed where it needs to be and head for the shallows watching your rods to begin bouncing and see at what depths they drag. I've done this with singles and doubles in 1/16ths AND 1/32nds.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    BTW, I'm talking about using all 1/16th ballhead jigs with curly tail grubs on them.
    might be a stupid question, but does it matter if it is a ballhead jig or minnowhead jig as long as they are both 1/16th? I know different body styles of baits will fall different, but for just your basic trolling does that matter much either?
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

ballhead or minnowhead jig will probably make a slight difference in depth due to the drag of one over the other. You can use one of each and it would be a compromise to some extent. To find out what depth each rig will do, find some shallow water, say 10 FOW, start trolling, then adjust the line out or speed or both and see when you start bumping bottom. It takes some time on the water to determine your running depth, as the size of the grub will affect the depth as well to some extent. I only use 2 rods 99% of the time but fish solo 99% of the time as well. You can use just one jig and a split shot weight as well if you want/need to.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't trolled jigs before and there's a lot of great info in this thread, Thanks for asking the question rww.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast