Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minnow help

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow help

im planning on a fishing trip here n the next couple months. and im wanting to buy my minnows at a local bait shop. probly a pound or 2. and its about a 7 hour drive to my fishing destination. how is the best way to keep my minnows? temperature shouldnt b a problem. planning on earl march. i was thinking about using a 40 qt cooler and i hav 2 small aerators. anybody hav any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

When I buy my minnows in bulk they put them in a large bag filled with oxygen. Never had a problem with them dying in cool weather and they are usually in there 12 hours or more.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep minnows a week or more in a styrofoam cooler. I use to use a plastice bucket and they would not last a day. Someone told me that styrofoam breathes and lets oxygen in the water. Never heard that before, but I have kept them alive for weeks in a foam bucket.

SeaRay

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A 40 gallon bait tank would be the best but if not, have the minnows put into two different bags (a lb in each) with oxy. and you wont have any problems until you can reach your destination and transfer 'em to your cooler. Just make sure the water in the cooler is about eh same temps as what's in the bags.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a plastic cooler as well and have kept 2lbs of shiners in there for three weeks in November. Never lost one including the ones we used and put back into the cooler.
    I say you will be fine with what your going to use... By the way post pictures of your catch so we can all be jealous...
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

How about keeping them in your "live well"?
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my bulk minnow system...

2 110v aquarium aerators
    12v power invertor
    Large styrofoam cooler

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhill10 View Post
    im planning on a fishing trip here n the next couple months. and im wanting to buy my minnows at a local bait shop. probly a pound or 2. and its about a 7 hour drive to my fishing destination. how is the best way to keep my minnows? temperature shouldnt b a problem. planning on earl march. i was thinking about using a 40 qt cooler and i hav 2 small aerators. anybody hav any ideas?
    That should work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

You could lay the bags in the cooler with water in it so they would be acclimated to the temperature of the new water by the time you get there. That's how you introduce fish into an aquarium, should work fine.
    Also, I keep my minnows in a small igloo cooler with an areator while I fish, then put that cooler in my big refigerator in the garage when I get home (stays around 42 deg). I have kept minnows alive for almost 2 months without running the areator, changing half of the water each week. Does anybody else do something similar?

Post Thanks / Like

them r sum great ideas. thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast