Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slip Corks & Line Twist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Corks & Line Twist

Love using the slip corks. Started about 4 months ago. Very good for casting but the problem I am having is the line twist. I have tried the plastic stopper with holes, tried the little rubber with the wire that you pull your line threw, Tried the string stopper and that worked better, even went with braided line. Still the same results. I fishing average around 2 -3' deep. Twitching the jig back to the boat. The only thing I have not tried is going with a heaveier line but then that will cause problems with the small spinning reels.Thought it may be the line on the spinning reels. Same results with my jig poles. Please if anyone has a suggestion please post. It may be me doing something wrong. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Change the way you put your line on your reel. Are you laying the spool on its side when you reel on new line or are you putting a rod thru the spool when putting on line. Best way I have found is to lay the spool on its side and reel it up flipping the new spool a few times to reduce coils going on the reel. Then ill cut the line with about 10 feet extra and spin the coils out with my hand. Has worked well for me. Could also rig up a small online barrel swivel
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Boy View Post
    Love using the slip corks. Started about 4 months ago. Very good for casting but the problem I am having is the line twist. I have tried the plastic stopper with holes, tried the little rubber with the wire that you pull your line threw, Tried the string stopper and that worked better, even went with braided line. Still the same results. I fishing average around 2 -3' deep. Twitching the jig back to the boat. The only thing I have not tried is going with a heaveier line but then that will cause problems with the small spinning reels.Thought it may be the line on the spinning reels. Same results with my jig poles. Please if anyone has a suggestion please post. It may be me doing something wrong. Thanks
    We use slip bobbers all the time. We've tried every kind that we' have seen. Just can't slide anything up and down the line without getting a twist. The best thing I can tell you is, don't tie the string real tight, just enough to stay put..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

If your only fishing 2 or 3 feet deep, I would just use a clip on weighted cork.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I always wet the line before I slide the stopper. A little saliva goes a long way!
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

When spooling like wannabe wrote, get yourself some wet paper towel wring it out and run the line through it as you spool up. This stretchs the line out and takes the light coat of powder off.

If you've ever run the line between your fingers when spool you get the powder like mark or dark mark on your fingers where you were running it, that's the powder and the wet paper towel above till take it off the line.

String stop or rubber stop is your choice - I use rubber ones myself with slip bobbers.

I don't ever remember getting line twist - but UK is right too 2-3 feet use a clip on. You could be getting the line twist from fishing the slip to shallow- line isn't sliding through, check and see if you have a rough spot on top or bottom of the float, if you do could be the line is sticking in it and twisting when your casting.

Just a few to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I misunderstood, however when I spool up reels I use a pencil through the hole in the spool and hold the pencil with my toes. I apply slight pressure to the side of the spool so the line winds up snug. REgardless of the direction of spool loaded or reel loaded there should be no twist introduced while filling the reel.

I never have line twist using slip bobbers, except for one brand of bobber stops. The little red figure 8 looking things introduce line twist when you slide the stop up of down.

Assuming your not introducing line twist while spooling. I'm thinking your problem is either line twist introduced when fighting fish, OR your lure is spinning in the current introducing line twist. Try a swivel near your split shot to see if the line twist stops. The other possibility, is tension. You introduce line twist when reeling in and the tension is too light. When the tension is too light, you don't reel in any line, however the spool spins round and round and round twisting up the line. Personally I tighten up the tension, however if the line is small in diameter and your afraid of breaking off, flip that little lever on teh back of the spinning reel so the reel spins in reverse, then us your hand on the crank as tension, unwinding line as the fish pulls.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a gadget called a "Twist Out" that I used to be able to find in Bass Pro. B.P. quit buying them from the guy who made them and he went out of business. Basically it looked like a couple of rubber erasers like we used many years ago in elementary school. They had a bolt and wing nut run thru them and you put your line in it and snugged the rubber pieces down. What I would do is engage the reel and anchor it against something where it couldn't move and slowly walk away letting the line slide thru it. You could see the twist come out of your line as you were walking. When you got to the end, I would let it go and it would lay flat. They only cost a buck or so but I would have paid $5 apiece if I had known they weren't going to make any more.

I still use them today and baby them as much as possible because as far as I know you can't find them. This works similar to the wet towels that Fatman said he used. I think I like this even better. If anyone can find them, please let us know. If you use it right it's a wonderful product and fantastic for those who cannot afford any twist in their line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I use a gadget called a "Twist Out" that I used to be able to find in Bass Pro. B.P. quit buying them from the guy who made them and he went out of business. Basically it looked like a couple of rubber erasers like we used many years ago in elementary school. They had a bolt and wing nut run thru them and you put your line in it and snugged the rubber pieces down. What I would do is engage the reel and anchor it against something where it couldn't move and slowly walk away letting the line slide thru it. You could see the twist come out of your line as you were walking. When you got to the end, I would let it go and it would lay flat. They only cost a buck or so but I would have paid $5 apiece if I had known they weren't going to make any more.

I still use them today and baby them as much as possible because as far as I know you can't find them. This works similar to the wet towels that Fatman said he used. I think I like this even better. If anyone can find them, please let us know. If you use it right it's a wonderful product and fantastic for those who cannot afford any twist in their line.
    would you be able to post a pic or two of the "gadget"?........thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

try Raven x-small swivels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast