Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Is there a yak with pedals in it for moving around? I'm interested in fishing from one, and I think that would be a good way to move around instead of paddling everywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Hobie kayaks. They make 2 or three models that you peddle. A bit pricey but people that have them seem to like them.

Post Thanks / Like

wgf are you wanting to just kayak or fish from your kayak. I've owned a Hobie Outback for over a year now and have fished over 50 trips from my kayak. I also own a Ride 135 sot kayak that I have fished from before I bought the Outback. Personally I prefer the Outback for crappie fishing in small and large lakes. I fish mostly in Beaver lake and spend 6, 8 and 10 hours a day in the Outback without a problem. If I was fishing small fast rivers I would not take the outback because of the fins crashing on the rocks. If you have any more questions you can pm me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default spalling

Native, Hobie, and Wilderness System all have pedal drive systems. Some are more fishable than others, I highly recommend taking any interested models for a test pedal before purchasing.

Post Thanks / Like

bfish is correct please test before you buy I will also add that kayaking looks harder than it is distance makes peddle boats nice / or trolling ,,, but read reviews most people don't realize a hobie peddles in 1 direction no reverse ie: bring paddle to back up ...... native paddles fowrd and back but had 18" draft ie: bring paddle for shallow water use .. the same goes for motorized boats which also include registration in most states .. As a kayak fishing Guide i take people that have never tried it before and i would say 80% are shocked at how easy it is to move around and handle a kayak ( I fish rivers and small waters ) if you are a lake fisherman you might need a peddle craft . but wieght your options I could sell you 2 full outfitted yaks delivered for the price of a nice stripped down peddle boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mb4850 View Post
    wgf are you wanting to just kayak or fish from your kayak. I've owned a Hobie Outback for over a year now and have fished over 50 trips from my kayak. I also own a Ride 135 sot kayak that I have fished from before I bought the Outback. Personally I prefer the Outback for crappie fishing in small and large lakes. I fish mostly in Beaver lake and spend 6, 8 and 10 hours a day in the Outback without a problem. If I was fishing small fast rivers I would not take the outback because of the fins crashing on the rocks. If you have any more questions you can pm me.
    I mainly want to fish and will be fishing lakes

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Hobie Revolution, and have spent a long day in the Native Mariner. Pedal power is awesome whichever way you go.

This is my subjective opinion, but here goes...

The hobie mirage drive take less energy to move you from point A to point B. It excels at trolling and does well fishing along a bank or in wind. Also in shallow water you can flutter kick the fins or just fold them against the hull.

Where the native propel system has the hobie beat hands down is the reverse feature. Its handy for fishing along a bank, but where it really shines is holding position at vertical structure like a bridge piling. In shallow water you have to pull the drive out.

For me, the hobie won out after weighing the pro's and con's. Try both if you can but either one beats paddling especially if its windy.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone on here about trying every yak you can before you buy, but let me tell you I had test drove several and liked most of them. But you cant tell with a 30 minute test drive. After I had bought my Outback an had fished for about an hour I was feeling sick because of all the money I had spent and really didn't like the Outback. By the end of the day I was feeling a little better. After about 3 trips I knew I had made the right choice. Relative to kayaks it is pretty expensive, but relative to a motor boat it's cheap. It also depends on how much you plan on fishing. I'll fish 50 to 75 times a year. Don't get me wrong I would kayak fish if it I couldn't use a pedal kayak. I actually love the paddling, it's just more productive "the way I fish" with the outback. If I was going on a sightseeing tour in my kayak I would take the Ride 135. Kayak fishing may not be for everyone, but to me it's just fun and great exercise.