Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: anyone troll 3 jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone troll 3 jigs?

with all the alabama rig hype going I made me a few of these. crappie size umbrella rigs have been around but one of the problems has been the weight of them so I made these without lead so I could troll them shallower. With three 1/16oz jigs the overall weight was right at a 1/2 oz but I am going to change em out to 1/32 for the trials, maybe go with thinner wire to make them even lighter. Has anyone trolled umbrella rigs much and what was your experience with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't doubt they will catch fish and get you hung up more often. You might want to check your state regulations and make sure they are legal where you fish. I thought I ran across something this past year that said they were going to put restrictions on it in our area.

Post Thanks / Like

its legal here in Ga, I know some states have made a 3 hook limit on them. As far as getting hung up thats why I tied them with 4 pound test so they will break off if needed instead of connecting them straight to the wire like some I have seen. I normally pull 12 rods with 2 hooks each but I will put a few of these in the mix to see how they do

Post Thanks / Like

There legal here in mO also. Check with Ron Don he's got some going also.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that would work great where its legal

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lookin rig!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got me interested! I'm real curious how you'll keep the rigs at the depths you want them to run. Let us know the results.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baitman View Post
    with all the alabama rig hype going I made me a few of these. crappie size umbrella rigs have been around but one of the problems has been the weight of them so I made these without lead so I could troll them shallower. With three 1/16oz jigs the overall weight was right at a 1/2 oz but I am going to change em out to 1/32 for the trials, maybe go with thinner wire to make them even lighter. Has anyone trolled umbrella rigs much and what was your experience with it.

Last winter I had a cove where the shad were schooling up shallow and the crappie where in there big time. I would just buzz around with my trolling motor until the screan jumped up like I ran over a house then spin the boat and start casting and slow retrieve back to the boat. It was deadly. I was using 3 jigs with 1/16 on bottome, 1/48 in middle/ and 1/64 on top. As long as I payed attention the tangles were few and the fish were many.
    Fish like your hungry!