Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer HELP!

News Year Day i start getting this Vista Internet Security 2012 thing, it wants me register and everything.......i googled it and it says its dangerous.....how do i get rid of it????..............oh yea, im using AVG
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Take a kid fishing today: Hopefully they will grow up and take a kid fishing someday.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!!...computer runs better than ever now

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got that same thing, a couple of days ago. I read all the "fixes" & decided I wasn't smart enough to follow them "word for word" .... so I booted into Safe Mode, & ran SuperAntiSpyware program (full scan) ... then booted back out to regular mode & ran Malwarebytes (full scan). Lo & behold, Malwarebytes caught that bugger & nailed it.

Those "fake" antispyware/antivirus programs are pretty easy to spot, but not always easy to get rid of. I've had a few of them sneek in on me, before ... but, this is the first time I had to boot into Safe Mode to corral it. I did try & run SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes, prior to that ... but, I think they didn't get it because I only ran a quick scan. Once I ran full scans, it was all over for Vista IS2012.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I got that same thing, a couple of days ago. I read all the "fixes" & decided I wasn't smart enough to follow them "word for word" .... so I booted into Safe Mode, & ran SuperAntiSpyware program (full scan) ... then booted back out to regular mode & ran Malwarebytes (full scan). Lo & behold, Malwarebytes caught that bugger & nailed it.

Those "fake" antispyware/antivirus programs are pretty easy to spot, but not always easy to get rid of. I've had a few of them sneek in on me, before ... but, this is the first time I had to boot into Safe Mode to corral it. I did try & run SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes, prior to that ... but, I think they didn't get it because I only ran a quick scan. Once I ran full scans, it was all over for Vista IS2012.

... cp

it did seem pretty complicated when i read the instructions but it really wasnt....................the only problem is i got a malwarbytes in the process but it is a trial version....isnt their a free one, or is the trial one their freebee?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod .... both of the ones I mentioned have Free versions. You probably got the "trial" version, because you loaded it from a 3rd party site.

You can do one of two things :

Keep the trial version until it expires, then uninstall it & install the freebee.
    OR
    Uninstall the trial version, now, & install the freebee.

Go to either of these places for free version dowload : Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Biggest difference I've seen, between the paid & free versions .... free versions don't update automatically. I usually manually update all my freeware programs, about every 3days or so. No big deal, as it takes less than a minute ... I just have to "remember" to do it. Rofl

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i got the paid version of malwarebytes. the biggest difference between the free and paid version is the paid version has a module on it that actively protects your system from infection. if you mistype a website or visit a website that might try to put crap on your computer you don't want, malwarebytes stops it. i've been running malwarebytes with microsoft security essentials and have had great results.

the free version of malwarebytes is an after the fact scanner you can use to help remove the infection but some infections are really hard to get rid of once they are on your computer.

and, i have used malwarebytes tech support forum as well. they are superb at helping you clean up your computer if you do get an infection. and, their tech support is free as well whether you have the paid or free version. i really like those guys as you can tell. that is why i bought a license for a paid copy.

i am a sucker for good customer service
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Too! I run Windows XP, Microsoft Security Essentails, Spybot Search & Destroy, & CCleaner. About a week ago Windows Security alert started popping up, saying that my Auto Update was off. When I try and turn it on or upgade Microsoft Security Ess. it says udate failed error code 0x80070424. I go to the control panel and click on auto updates, check auto circle then ok. still get auto update message not turned on. Not real computer savy! Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like it may be the same thing i had because they said it comes in different names depending on what OS you running.....

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Redeye50 ....

Quote Originally Posted by REDEYE50 View Post
    Help Me Too! I run Windows XP, Microsoft Security Essentails, Spybot Search & Destroy, & CCleaner. About a week ago Windows Security alert started popping up, saying that my Auto Update was off. When I try and turn it on or upgade Microsoft Security Ess. it says udate failed error code 0x80070424. I go to the control panel and click on auto updates, check auto circle then ok. still get auto update message not turned on. Not real computer savy! Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks
    This is probably your best bet : Error message 0x80070424 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates

At least it's free, and it gives you several different methods to try. Print the page (if you can) so you can follow the steps in sequence (if method #1 doesn't solve the problem). They get a little tricky, the farther you have to go into them ... so, if you don't have a printer, you may have to write down the steps, so proof read everything two or three times to make sure you've got everything EXACT.

I don't know if you can do these steps, with the (link) page on your screen, or not ... so I recommended printing them out, just in case you can't.

If one of them works ... great !! But, if none of them fixes the problem, I'll be back on tomorrow morning, and I'll try & find another solution (if someone else hasn't already suggested one). Don't bother with the "Wiki" fix ... you have to pay for it (that was going to be my first suggestion, until I found out you have to register & pay for it).

... luck2ya

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast